PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
04-09-2003, 10:31 AM
My neighbor and his wife recently returned from a turning class in North Carolina. When they returned, they discovered I turned also, so we've been trading techniques and ideas. The lady's cousin owns some land a few miles away and was clearing some trees. Jim and Carol drove down and cut 36 large blanks of walnut and maple and have them sealed and stored in their attic. Jim gave me a blank of each for showing him how to do pens. Anyway, to make a long story short, or shorter, I soaked the blanks in LDD for four days, let them air dry for four more days and rough turned the walnut this morning. The bowl is 10 inches in diameter and 3 1/2 inches tall, minus the tenon of course. The grain is great. I can't wait to let it dry and finish. The maple is coming next. Thanks for looking.

Ken Wright
04-09-2003, 11:41 AM
I really made a nice piece.

Randy Gleckler
04-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Man Ron, Seem's like everyday your posting something new and cool. Thanks for sharing, great gloat and even greater bowls. Really like the figure in them.

Ken Wright
04-09-2003, 4:06 PM
I was dreaming .... I meant to say .. "IT" made a nice piece ... not "I" made a nice piece.