PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Braille in laminates?

Chad Cox
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm getting lots of calls to do ADA type signs where the top layer is some form of high pressure laminate (Formica, Wilsonart, Pionite etc.) I have had limited success inserting Raster braille into this material. I has no memory like acrylic. I have used the standard Braille cutting bit, as well as the collet drill bit and adhesive assist method. I know this material is being used more and more and was hoping someone had experience with it as far as the Braille goes.

Thanks!

Larry Bratton
11-23-2010, 3:33 PM
It's not Corian is it? Corian is solid acrylic but works great for ADA.

Joe Pelonio
11-23-2010, 4:24 PM
I have done them, using the laser to engrave the "holes" and then used a drop of cement applied with a toothpick. Very slow, tedious process for which the customer had to pay.

The glue I used was Duco which stuck well to the high pressure laminate and balls, and any excess srapes off with an xacto when dry.

Hopefully you will find a better method, but this works well for a small quantity.

Keith Outten
11-24-2010, 7:57 AM
I have used white craft glue on Corian which dries clear. You can easily wipe off the excess using a moistened paper towel without disturbing the braille spheres. I smear the glue on with the applicator and then wipe it into the holes with my finger.

Chad I haven't used the material you mentioned and you said that you have tried an adhesive method already. If the adhesive isn't the problem what specifically is the issue? Is the material thick enough or does it have a backing material?

Chad Cox
11-24-2010, 8:19 AM
I haven't had a call to used corian or any of the solid surfaces yet, seems like they would work similar to acrylic.

The laminates are approx. 1/32" thick. I use 1/8" rowmark solid color for the backing, factory applied adhesive. It seems no two laminates behave the same. I have been able to use the standard Accent Raster bit sometimes and the balls stick in with no adhesive necessary. Other times they fall right out. Same story with the Accent collet drill bit, which I believe is 1/16".

I guess the issue with the tape assist is that it doesn't look as clean, with inconsistent color using clear balls. I may have to try the glue method.

The laminates seem to the the trend right now. I have gotten order after order that look like they went to Takeform's website and got all their design ideas there then asked me to make them.

Joe Pelonio
11-24-2010, 8:49 AM
I installed several hundred made on laminate, with a fake granite design at s new local school. They were manufactured in China, actually, and I ended up doing a lot of replacement of balls since many fell out. I think it may be just a little too thin for the balls to pop in and stay without gluing. The ones I did myself were the same laminate as the reception area counter tops, the material does give many more design/decorative options but is not made for braille.

Chad Cox
11-24-2010, 9:00 AM
My experience exactly. The architects are calling it out in the specs. I'm subbing for a large sign company on these jobs and they often number in the hundreds. I'm having some success now with the drill bit, going 5-10 thousandths deeper than normal, and the balls snap in. Haven't been able to get the balls to fall out yet. I try pretty hard to get them to come out because I don't want to have to travel across the state to replace balls!