PDA

View Full Version : Red & White Segmented Bowl

Randy Gazda
11-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I haven't posted anything in a while, mostly due to my other hobby filling my spare time (it is hunting season in Montana). However, I finished this bowl a little while ago and finally took some photos of it. Looks like a need to keep practicing with the camera.

The bottom of the bowl is birdseye redwood, the white is hard maple, the dark red rings are bloodwood, and the 'feature ring' is quilted cherry. At least the lumber yard said it was quilted cherry, I am not that impressed with the look of the cherry but seemed worth a try. I like the look of the bloodwood but holy cow is it hard, sharpen, turn for a minute and resharpen, repeat!:eek:

Robert McGowen
11-23-2010, 11:42 AM
That piece of redwood is WAY to nice to be the BOTTOM of the bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2010, 11:50 AM
That is a good looking bowl. Really nicely done.

Bill Bolen
11-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Nice piece. Very well done.

Randy Gazda
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I agree that is a nice piece of redwood. It was abou 4" think, and I thought about making a bowl out of it but instead split it in two for two bowl bottoms. Tough decision.

BTW, finish, is spray on poly.

Happy Thanksgiving

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 1:31 PM
Good looking bowl Randy! Keep your eye open for more of that Birdseye! Nice stuff!

When I lived in Montana - used to go deer hunting down in Monarch. Beautiful area - loved hunting the mountains!