PDA

View Full Version : Another New bandsaw and blade question for Rikon 14 inch

Bijesh Jacob
11-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi, I placed an order for a rikon 10-325 14 inch bandsaw and wanted to get 3 blades for it.
Resaw blade
Generic blade
Blade for tight curves 1/8 inch??

Any recommendation on this including the best online place to buy is much appreciated.
Now I have read all the posts on this site and on google to make my head spin :) - but has been very informative.

Bijesh

Ps: I took advantage of the $744 shipped price on Amazon

David Christopher
11-23-2010, 8:26 PM
congrats on the new saw, ( I have the same saw )
I would get a 5/8 or 3/4 3 TPI for resawing
a 3/8 6 TPI for general purpose
a 1/4 14 TPI for small cuts and tight turns

I like timberwolf blades, but everyone has different taste

Bijesh Jacob
11-23-2010, 10:26 PM
congrats on the new saw, ( I have the same saw )
I would get a 5/8 or 3/4 3 TPI for resawing
a 3/8 6 TPI for general purpose
a 1/4 14 TPI for small cuts and tight turns

I like timberwolf blades, but everyone has different taste

Thank you. Having no experience with either the bandsaw or TB blades I did read somewhere that the TB blades did not work very well with the Rikon. I assume that is not your experience?

Van Huskey
11-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Check the Cliff's notes section of this post for specific blades or read the entire thread for more background.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149862&highlight=bandsaw

Curt Harms
11-24-2010, 7:43 AM
IMO. There's not enough metal behind the gullet on narrower blades for a bearing surface. If you're going to do tight curves or scroll type work, you might consider the Carter blade stabilizer. It will work with any blade width 1/4" or less.
http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=440&cat_id=14

del schisler
11-24-2010, 7:51 AM
Hi, I placed an order for a rikon 10-325 14 inch bandsaw and wanted to get 3 blades for it.
Resaw blade
Generic blade
Blade for tight curves 1/8 inch??

Any recommendation on this including the best online place to buy is much appreciated.
Now I have read all the posts on this site and on google to make my head spin :) - but has been very informative.

Bijesh

Ps: I took advantage of the $744 shipped price on Amazon

I do a lot of resawing i have the delta with the riser on it. I use the 1/2" 3tpi woodslicer blade for yrs now. It works for me their are other's out their but i have stuck with this one. I get mine from http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/bandsaw-blades-accessories.aspx

Bijesh Jacob
11-24-2010, 9:01 AM
thanks guys.
I will also look at the Carter guide.

Prashun Patel
11-24-2010, 9:18 AM
Bijesh, you can upgrade the guides later if they don't work. I wouldn't bother with 3 blades yet. I'd get 2:

1/2" 3tpi (for resawing). If you are serious about resawing then just get the Woodslicer from Highland. I've heard no negatives about it. A 3/4" might be hard to tension on yr saw.

1/4" or 3/16 4tpi (This will probably be enough to do all but the tightest scroll work).

If you really want to get 3 blades, Rockler has an Olson Allpro set that can be had with free shipping for around $50. Worth checking into.

Bijesh Jacob
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Bijesh, you can upgrade the guides later if they don't work. I wouldn't bother with 3 blades yet. I'd get 2:

1/2" 3tpi (for resawing). If you are serious about resawing then just get the Woodslicer from Highland. I've heard no negatives about it. A 3/4" might be hard to tension on yr saw.

1/4" or 3/16 4tpi (This will probably be enough to do all but the tightest scroll work).

If you really want to get 3 blades, Rockler has an Olson Allpro set that can be had with free shipping for around $50. Worth checking into.

I was thinking largest blade (but then saw the other post about the largest blade for a bandsaw and the +v'es and -v'es about that). How about a typical use go to blade - I always have some basic cuts that I currently do on my 10inch and probably need to do the same on the new saw as well.

Jim Rimmer
11-24-2010, 12:21 PM
+1 on the Woddslicer 1/2" 3 tpi from Highland Woodworking for resawing. I tried Timberwolf and had two bad blades out of three. They have good customer service but once I got the Woodslicer it was like noght and day on finish on the resaw cut.

Brian Tymchak
11-24-2010, 12:45 PM
... How about a typical use go to blade - I always have some basic cuts that I currently do on my 10inch and probably need to do the same on the new saw as well.

I found the stock blade (3 tpi 1/2" blade) shipped with the saw to be sufficient for general use. It does drift a bit more than I would like but I've even resawed with it with ok results, certainly not veneer quality, but good enough for my needs to date. My suggestion would be to wait until you get the saw and then decide if you need a different "general use" blade.

Brian