PDA

View Full Version : Oak Fruit Bowl

Prashun Patel
11-23-2010, 8:39 AM
This is from an oak log that fell last year near my home in NJ. Turned green.

I had a challenge keeping the jaws from turning parts of the bowl black.

12" dia. Finish is oil/poly.

I'm not proud of the foot shape or the exterior rim treatment, but I'm livin' and learnin'.

C&C invited.

bob svoboda
11-23-2010, 8:44 AM
Nice bowl Prashun. Foot shape and whether or not to use a foot is a very subjective thing. I'd personally hate to see everyone do it exactly the same way. I really like your rim treatment.

John Keeton
11-23-2010, 8:55 AM
Nice work! Like Bob said, much of this is subjective, but I do agree on the foot. Very nice treatment on the rim and bottom, and the bowl has a nice curve.

Try a little Saran wrap on the tenon to avoid contact with the chuck next time.

Ken Hill
11-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Looks good to me...and as long as you are happy with it, then anyone else's opinion is just that. Tastes vary so much that trying to please everyone is a lesson in futility!

steven carter
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Very nice fruit bowl. I like the rim treatment, and I don't get too hung up on whether to have a foot or not. I do most bowls without a foot, but not always. I think the foot may have worked better on this bowl if there had been a more abrupt change from the side of the bowl to the foot.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Looks pretty good to me! Seeing as how you are looking for suggestions - about the only thing I might change would be the rim treatment. Just me but I think it would look better if it were rounded over - would be more in keeping with the exterior curve.

Looking forward to seeing your next turning! Have fun!

Justin Stephen
11-23-2010, 11:29 AM
FWIW, I like the foot.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Prashun that is a really nice bowl. The foot looks fine. I do some with and some without depending on the day. The rim for me would look a little better rounded but that is just me.

Prashun Patel
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I wanted to make a rounded lip; I wanted a rounded lip with a bead actually. But I had trouble, and was eating up too much of the lip making corrections, so what you see is the damage control.