PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in a Shop teacher's forum?

Dave Cav
11-23-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm posting this to see if there's any interest in another forum, this one specific to mostly secondary school (middle/junior/high school) shop teachers, although post-secondary instructors would be most welcome, and it would be open to anyone that wanted to join. We (CTE, voc/tech teachers) all know how difficult it can be to keep our programs funded and afloat, and we also know the challenges we often face given the wide variety of students our counselors send us. This would be a good place to share information, discuss projects and so on.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Dave

Jesse R Williams
11-23-2010, 5:38 AM
I think this would be a fun idea. I teach 3rd grade and I am in the process of trying to start an after-school woodworking program for our younger kids where we would discuss the basics of woodworking, safety, history of woodworking, the use of tools, safety, how to use a tape measure (this is something that is hard for even our high-school kids) did I say safety. We would also make things from using basic hand tools similar to what home depot, or lowes does for kids on Saturdays.

As I said I am currently creating a mini curriculum that I can present to our board of education, the superintendent, and principal.

Anyone got some ideas on what should be included in a beginners course for woodworking. Remember this would be for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.

So far the list includes:
1. tool safety
2. shop safety
3. history of woodworking
4. basic hand tools
5. power tools

How about ideas on what projects these youngsters could build? Do you think I should stay away from pine wood derby cars since boy scouts do them or should I include these since some boys and girls are not in the scouts.

Thanks for your help,
Jesse

mark kosse
11-23-2010, 8:46 AM
Dave, Do you think there are many of us on here?

There are other forums and websites dedicated to this idea.

http://www dot woodworkingteachers dot com

http://www dot woodshopteachers dot org

Jesse, "the history of woodworking" to 3rd to 5th graders, in an after school program? Bro, cut those kids some slack. You want to have them do something educational and historical, have them cut out a shape of your state in pine and mark historical events on it like Revolutionary War battles or cattle drives or some such thing. They can mark them in different color Bic pen and draw the routes taken then varnish over it. I did that in Jr High and it was quite the hit.

Mark

Steve Griffin
11-23-2010, 9:57 AM
Excellent idea!

It probably wouldn't get much traffic, but that's ok. I'm not a teacher, but would probably visit you guys once in a while to try and learn something about working with kids.

BTW, definitely like Jesse's idea of including a short segment on history.

-Steve

Chris Padilla
11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
We are always open to new forums if the interest exists but honestly, I think we have too many forums. They can get cumbersome to watch over at times.

Jesse R Williams
11-23-2010, 5:01 PM
Mark,

Love the state idea!!! We work on time lines in third grade I teach math and science and this would be an awesome idea. I know I know history blah blah blah snore snore snore, but I thought it would be cool for the kids to see how far we have come from the old days of ripping a board by hand to having a bandsaw help with the process. I know there are still some woodworkers who do this by hand and it truly is a site to see and it makes me tired just thinking about it.

I think I may even have them cut out the shape of our county and mark locations on it as well, or have them each cut out a county in Ohio 88 in all and form a puzzle that could be build and then placed out where all students could see it.

Love the idea and keep them coming. I know the interest may be low for a new forum to be started specifically for these types of threads but the idea of having an area to share projects and topics for all grade levels would be cool.

Jesse

Gary Lange
11-23-2010, 6:07 PM
It would be interesting to see or read about the problems and triumphs of teachers. I remember in Junior High School in Aurora, Ill. back in the fifties we had both Metal and woodworking shop. They were both great and I think I learned something in each and still have my first woodshop project.

I love Jesse's idea of getting the kids involved in woodworking as it gives them a diversion from the same old stuff.

My shop teacher built a new home to sell on a lot next to my home and I helped with the building. It was a great experience and something not soon forgotten. Anytime we can help children to learn is a good thing.