PDA

View Full Version : A true light "box"

John Beaver
11-23-2010, 12:04 AM
I posted this as a response to post on another forum and thought I'd share it here too.

The box is 27 x 27 which is large enough for most turned objects.
Inside is a graduated photo background, and a piece of white / black foam core which can be used either side to make the image brighter or more dramatic.

The left side has a hole cut out and covered with opaque paper (I recommend 1000h tracing paper)

The top has a cover that can be opened so light can be put in from the top if desired. I usually prefer the side light with a black or white card on the other side so one side is brighter giving the object some shape.

In this instance I used a clamp light aimed slightly off the center to eliminate the spot. Any light will work. I often just put it on my table saw with the opening facing the outside light (just out of the direct sun).

You could paint the inside white or black, but I find the cardboard works fine with most wood.

I have a shelf up high in my shop that this sits on when not in use. I can set up for a photo in about 1 minute.

Josh Bowman
11-23-2010, 6:44 AM
John,
Thanks, I like the pictures I've seen of your work. If this is how it was done, I hope to improve my own.

John Keeton
11-23-2010, 6:56 AM
Very neat setup! Now, if I just had room to store a box that size!:( I mentally just did a quick "tour" of my shop, and came up with nothing.

I do like the idea of not having to setup each time, though I have become more efficient at it. I used to black out the shop and use only worklights, but have now started using daylight and the shop lights, with a higher f stop, and longer shutter times. That is the one thing that has most improved my pics and given me much better white balance.

John, you do get some nice pics of your excellent work!

Rick Markham
11-23-2010, 7:40 AM
Pretty ingenious, I've thought a lot about this actually. I know a bunch of you use pvc pipes as a frame. If you took a white cotton sheet, and sewed it so it fit over the tubes, and surrounded 5 sides of the box, you darn nearly have a professional light box on the cheap (and you could still disassemble it and store it) Then you can light it from both sides and the top. There would be no glare whatsoever hiding any of the texture and grain of the wood... I know y'all are becoming excellent photographers, I think this might put ya over the top :D

Baxter Smith
11-23-2010, 7:40 AM
Like the one minute setup for sure. I just finished making one that is big enough for about anything I might turn but the setup time is long enough so I don't always want to use it.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2010, 12:01 PM
I like that John. Thanks for sharing.

Alan Zenreich
11-23-2010, 12:25 PM
John,

I mentally just did a quick "tour" of my shop, and came up with nothing.

That's what the tablesaw is for!

John Keeton
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
John,
That's what the tablesaw is for!What do I do with the stuff on there already!!!!:eek:

Alan Zenreich
11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Move it to the jointer, of course.

Justin Stephen
11-23-2010, 12:55 PM
What do I do with the stuff on there already!!!!:eek:

That is the $25,000 question indeed.*

*I don't have a jointer. :(

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 1:33 PM
Proof once again that you don't have to spend the big bucks to have a quality photo tent! Nice work!

I use my table saw as a finishing area - the outfeed table - now that's where my photo tent goes!

Rob Wachala Jr
11-23-2010, 7:14 PM
This is pretty much exactly what I did except I have halogens for the lighting. I use different color poster board for backdrops which cost .75 at my local dollar store.

charlie knighton
11-23-2010, 10:28 PM
thanks for sharing....i like your wave bowls also