PDA

View Full Version : Banjo slick strips?

Ron Bontz
11-22-2010, 11:42 PM
I was looking at my scratched up ways today after waxing again and was wondering...... Hmm. I have used slick strips on other jigs and such so why wouldn't it work on the bottom of my PM's banjo? Has anyone tried this? I also wondered if the banjo would be more prone to slip. Just a thought anyway.

John Keeton
11-23-2010, 7:44 AM
My thought would be that it would not hold up to the punishment. I have used it on various applications, but the friction/pressure was always fairly light with no clamping, etc., involved.

Maybe you could draw file and dress the bottom of the banjo and get a smoother operation?

Ron Bontz
11-23-2010, 9:18 AM
Yep. I was considering doing that also. Just being lazy.:)

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Ron - I ended up using a file and relieving all the edges on the banjo and tailstock. Then used some 600 grit and dressed up the bottom edge on both. I keep the ways well waxed but the banjo still causes scratches although not as bad. I think it is just the nature of the beast!

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I had thought about doing something like that. I didn't because I figured when I put a little to much wax on the banjo or tailstock it doesn't hold real well. I think putting the slick stuff on it would make it even worse trying to keep them clamped and held in place. I just use the method Steve does with the file and sandpaper.

Ron Bontz
11-23-2010, 2:29 PM
Hmmm. I guess I'll have to stop being lazy and get er done.