PDA

View Full Version : Hanging tool cabinets

Steve Wargo
12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
I've recently finished the last piece due for the year, and have decided to take a couple days to make a new hanging tool cabinet. The last one I made over 3 years ago and I'm in need of a little larger one and can use the old one for book storage such. What I'd like to see are some images of the way you hang your tools. Saws (not wanting a till inside), spokeshaves, squares, screwdrivers, chisels, etc. I've seen a bunch of different ways and I have the Tool chest book, and the likes, but I find that often woodworkers are a little more creative than the norm. I built the carcass last night (48" tall by 38" wide and 10" deep) and only need to veneer the doors and mount the tools. Thanks for any advice, and yes Tyler, I'll post pics when it's finished of both the old and new.

Tyler Howell
12-30-2004, 11:45 AM
yes Tyler, I'll post pics when it's finished of both the old and new.Looks like everyone is catching on:p

Paul O'Halloran
12-31-2004, 8:20 AM
Steve
Have you looked at Jim Tolpin's book " The Toolbox Book "?
I have built a small hanging and a large free standing cabinet
Cabinets (http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/tool_cabinet.htm)
Paul

Tyler Howell
12-31-2004, 9:09 AM
Paul you have a real nice set up. Thanks for sharing you creations.

Steve Wargo
12-31-2004, 9:36 AM
I was simply looking for a new spin on things if anyone had something. I've got all the veneer work finished and will begin mounting tools today. Thanks

Alan Turner
12-31-2004, 9:42 AM
Steve,
Here is one I rebuilt the inside of.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4097

It now holds about 35 chisels, 11 commonly used planes, 4 chrank neck chisels, etc. Ther eis oil soaked leather on which the chisel edges sit, so that rust is never an issue, at least on the edge. All of it was outfitted so that it could be changed.
Alan

John Dingman
12-31-2004, 12:27 PM
This is the one I am going to try and build:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/media/w00100_06.jpg

and if you don't want the drawers you could delete them and use the space for books. Or split the space with half drawers and half book storage.

John

Steve Wargo
12-31-2004, 12:48 PM
but, I've seen all the images, I just was wondering if anyone had any new interesting ways to mount tools. Thanks

John Dingman
12-31-2004, 12:52 PM
but, I've seen all the images, I just was wondering if anyone had any new interesting ways to mount tools. ThanksSo Sorry! I guess I should read the post before I reply :D

John

Tyler Howell
12-31-2004, 3:41 PM
This is the one I am going to try and build:

and if you don't want the drawers you could delete them and use the space for books. Or split the space with half drawers and half book storage.

John
In this pic are the chisels sitting on their blades??? Is that a good thing??

John Dingman
12-31-2004, 3:48 PM
In this pic are the chisels sitting on their blades??? Is that a good thing??Tyler.....That's Christian Becksvoort's Cabinet so I really don't know. I wouldn't know if them sitting on the blades is good or bad as I have never tried it. Mine are always piled in a drawer :D

Take Care,
John

Christian Aufreiter
12-31-2004, 4:14 PM
During the last months I've collected a few links to pages about tool storage. As the SMC TOS doesn't allow to post links to other forums please feel free to drop me a line (PM or email) if you're interested.

Regards,

Christian

Steve Wargo
12-31-2004, 4:56 PM
So Sorry! I guess I should read the post before I reply :D

John
I really didn't mean to sound like an A#@. I just finished installing the doors only to find out that one of the packages of hinges was mismarked and had to drive back to the hardware store. I was simply not in a good mood, and as I re-read the post I made, I did sound quite bitchy (Is that O.K. to say here?). So please accept my appology for being rude in my earlier reply. I'm sorry. Christian, Thanks for the e-mail.

John Dingman
12-31-2004, 5:23 PM
I really didn't mean to sound like an A#@. I just finished installing the doors only to find out that one of the packages of hinges was mismarked and had to drive back to the hardware store. I was simply not in a good mood, and as I re-read the post I made, I did sound quite bitchy (Is that O.K. to say here?). So please accept my appology for being rude in my earlier reply. I'm sorry. Christian, Thanks for the e-mail.Steve, Apology accepted, though it was not needed. I can promise you that I did not take any offense whatsoever to your response. I hope your day get's better for you.

John

Steve Wargo
12-31-2004, 5:40 PM
The cabinet is finished and only needs to have the remainder of the tools hung in it. I'll try to have pictures posted by Monday.

Matthew Dworman
01-04-2005, 4:32 AM
Hi Steve,
Here's a pic of my tool storage.:
http://home.comcast.net/~mdworman/images/toolcab.jpg

I have the cabinet mounted at about 10* so that Gravity does most of the work holding the tools against the cab. Just some dividers with a "safety catch" for most of the planes, and dowels or blocks for mostly everything else. I have a little double square which normaly goes in the "empty" slot in the upper left, but it must have been in my pocket when I took th pictures. Because the cabinet is mounted at a 10* angle, there is a liitle shelf behind it with room to store some other stuff too. I don't keep my chisels or carving tools out as I find them better protected in a tool roll which I open at the place where I'm using them. Then I have them all at hand rather than running back and forth to my wall cabinet to find the right chisel. Also as you might notice, everything is just screwed together on the face. This allows for repositioning later as things/tools may change...

Steve Wargo
01-04-2005, 4:49 AM
I like the method that you used to mount your marking knife. I may use that in my cabinet. I was debating on whether or not to mount my knifes, but I may now. I usually keep them under the bench so they're handy, but since I'm an organization freak I may try that. THanks for the post.

Dave Anderson NH
01-04-2005, 5:26 AM
You appear to be quite organized and the use of space is great. Have you been satisfied with how it works for your personal style of woodworking?

Matthew Dworman
01-04-2005, 6:34 AM
You appear to be quite organized and the use of space is great. Have you been satisfied with how it works for your personal style of woodworking?
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, I have found it to be quite helpful. Previous to this, I kept my planes lined up on my bench. They were all at hand, but also always in the way and subject to damage. Now my most frequently used tools are within reach and are more protected than before. My bench has a drawer where I keep other layout tools, pencils, erasers, scrapers, etc. The drawer is a bit cluttered, but it also suits my needs. I think eventualy I will build something similar to Chris Becksvoort's, but for now this one suits me fine and it only took an hour or so to build (Scrap plywood, wrapped with some extra birch flooring that I had and scrap cherry for dividers, etc..)
Dave, are you going to the Wood Works Expo at the Big E in Springfield next week? http://www.woodworksevents.com/
Matt

Dave Anderson NH
01-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Matthew, I'm not sure whether I'll be going at this point. Roger Myers and
I are driving to Williamsburg for the 18th Century Furniture conference on Friday the 14th. Depending on whether a friend in Trenton NJ is available for a visit Friday afternoon, we might or might not stop at Woodworks on our way. If Trenton is on, we won't have time, and it would be the second I've missed in a row.