PDA

View Full Version : Fun Drive Home

Joe Pelonio
11-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Working on the Seattle Waterfront is 22 miles from home, and tonight though I left early at 3:15 pm it took 3 -1/4 hours to get home. Here at the house we have 6" of snow since 6am, unfortunately the traffic driving on it in the afternoon has turned it to solid ice on every road since it's dropped down to 17F. If I didn't have 4wd and 3 sacks of sand in the back of my Ranger I'd be parked on the side of the road somewhere like everyone
else.

Anyone planning to come to Seattle area for Thanksgiving, I would really suggest trying again at Christmas, maybe it will be better weather. :rolleyes:

All flights have been canceled for today due to the ice.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Plane-skids-off-runway-at-Sea-Tac-Airport-110000474.html

Jim Koepke
11-23-2010, 2:31 AM
It was kind of messy here in southern Washington as well. We had about 4" when I took my wife into town for a medical appointment.

I am not even from this area, but I seem to be able to handle this stuff better than some of the folks who have been living here longer than me. My understanding is that we do not normally get more than 2" of snow around here.

Then there are the tick bit yahoos that think they got to play slippy slidey all over the road while other people are just trying to get some place safely.

Weather just ain't what it used to be.

jtk

Joe Pelonio
11-23-2010, 9:13 AM
I'm working from home today, it's 15 degrees now and all that snow and ice isn't getting any softer.

Mike Wilkins
11-23-2010, 9:15 AM
I'm sure you love it where you live, but that kind of weather makes me thankful I live in the South. Please be careful on the road.

Pat Germain
11-23-2010, 9:35 AM
Glad to hear you made it home OK, Joe. I was talking to my daughter last night. She moved to Seattle in September. She was quite distraught because she left Colorado hoping to avoid such weather.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2010, 11:54 AM
The folks in Seattle don't see that kind of weather often.

Inland, we get a lot more of that kind of weather than they do.

We only got 3 inches out of it.

Joe, the weather in Salt Lake City has my wife fussing right now. Our youngest son, his wife and their twin 9 month olds are supposed to fly into Lewiston this evening via SLC. SLC is supposedly experiencing blizzard conditions.

The wife wishes the kids were coming into Spokane. Then it would be up to me to get them to Lewiston.:cool:

Joe Pelonio
11-23-2010, 1:36 PM
The folks in Seattle don't see that kind of weather often.

Inland, we get a lot more of that kind of weather than they do.

We only got 3 inches out of it.

Joe, the weather in Salt Lake City has my wife fussing right now. Our youngest son, his wife and their twin 9 month olds are supposed to fly into Lewiston this evening via SLC. SLC is supposedly experiencing blizzard conditions.

The wife wishes the kids were coming into Spokane. Then it would be up to me to get them to Lewiston.:cool:
This is a strange but nasty one, I hope your family all makes it safely. My sister-in-law has canceled coming up from California.:p

Here's what my ride looks like this morning. I was following deer tracks and they went right to the front grill, apparently one was taking advantage of the leftover engine heat.

Scott Donley
11-23-2010, 2:23 PM
Well, 21 and sunny here now ! The roads around here are just a sheet of ice, no snow Glad I went to the store last night and got beer and popcorn, nice being retired :D I did have to turn the heater on in the shop.

Scott Shepherd
11-23-2010, 2:30 PM
There is a place in Lake Tahoe we ski, where the locals tend to go, called Kirkwood. For some reason, they get pounded when the next resorts over don't get as much. This last storm that came through, in 7 days, has dumped 112"-115" INCHES of snow. Yes, that's almost 10 feet of snow in one week.

Now that's how you start the ski season off right!

Scott Donley
11-23-2010, 4:20 PM
AHHHHH, spring skiing in Tahoe, the best ever. :D

Joe Pelonio
11-23-2010, 4:29 PM
There is a place in Lake Tahoe we ski, where the locals tend to go, called Kirkwood. For some reason, they get pounded when the next resorts over don't get as much. This last storm that came through, in 7 days, has dumped 112"-115" INCHES of snow. Yes, that's almost 10 feet of snow in one week.

Now that's how you start the ski season off right!
Wow, haven't thought about Kirkwood in a while. We used to ski there all the time when we lived in CA, in fact every Super Bowl Sunday we went there, no lines or crowded slopes. The closest ski area here only picked up 26" but that was in two days, so they are closed to groom for Thanksgiving weekend.

Scott Shepherd
11-23-2010, 6:32 PM
Not to take away from your trip home too much Joe, but all this talking about Tahoe has me thinking back to skiing there.

Kirkwood....what else can you say? I remember my first trip to the top of the mountain. Along the top ridge, there were a handful of people standing close to the edge. About then, I saw a guy jump off the edge and disappear. As we came around to the entrance to the top of the slope, you could see back. It was a ledge with about a 75 foot drop, straight down. He had jumped off of it. We stood there and watched a couple more people do it.

That was our very first trip to Kirkwood and our very first run at Kirkwood. So it was one of those "Should we really be here, these people are insane" kinda moments.

Now, on to Squaw Valley.... :)

Anyone ever road that lift on the far left hand side, I think? The one that will give you a panic attack it's so high in the air, with no bar on the chair lift? WOW.....what a ride. I rode up with my friend and he had an anxiety attack in the middle of that lift, with no safety bar. Not a happy moment :) They should give you an oxygen mask for that lift :)

Joe Pelonio
11-23-2010, 7:45 PM
I remember skiing at about age 16 in spring, wearing short sleeves (bad sunburn!) but there were girls skiing in bikinis.:eek:

I never did Squaw, but often wne to Sugar Bowl, Alpine meadows, and sometimes Dodge Ridge, further southeast from Tahoe and closer to where we lived.

Now you could ski down my street tonight, but it would be fast, it's already down to 15.

mark anizan
11-23-2010, 9:26 PM
I sure hope that your weather doesnt come here.I had enough cold and snow and ice when I lived in Missouri.It was 87 here today with a nice breeze on the Texas coast.But on Friday its suppose to go down to the 40's but be back in the 70's by Sunday.
Mark

Steve Griffin
11-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Glad you made it home Joe.

Warped as it sounds I just love strong, intense weather.

Tonight all roads closed in the region, 3 degrees, blowing 20 mph, 3' drifts in the driveway....

I love skiing, and have been out a number of times this year, but today was so wild I was happy to stay home. Drinking hot coffee in my toasty shop working on fun projects....

Be fun to dig out tomorrow and get in some skiing or boarding on thanksgiving.

-Steve

Joe Pelonio
11-24-2010, 8:52 AM
I'm going to work from home again, as it's 10F this morning and they have still not plowed, sanded or anything in our area so we still have 3-4" of hard ice and it's all down hill to get out.

Craig D Peltier
11-24-2010, 9:22 AM
Joe we only got maybe 4 inches but closer to three. Streets only have 1 inch on them. Never got much above 20 yesterday here , Thought tonight was going to be much colder as predicted, went to bed early 10 it was 16 got up at 530 14 so not much difference.
Roads are awful though. I need to pick up about 2200 lbs of wood , I have been putting it off, I dont want trailer to turn my truck into a dad pushing a kid on ice skates.
Very cold for T Day week here.

Bryan Morgan
11-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Its cold here too! I actually had to put on a long sleeve shirt! :D My wife says its "freezing" when it gets into the lower 60's. :p

Craig D Peltier
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Its cold here too! I actually had to put on a long sleeve shirt! :D My wife says its "freezing" when it gets into the lower 60's. :p

I was there this weekend. It was 55 degrees and rain both days. I was hoping for some sun.

Joe Pelonio
11-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Here's what my street looks like now - A long way down. It's gone up to 16 degrees now. May be a quiet dinner here tomorrow if no one can make it.

Bryan Morgan
11-24-2010, 3:32 PM
I was there this weekend. It was 55 degrees and rain both days. I was hoping for some sun.

We're hoping for some rain! :) Its been sunny and dry for far too long. The harsh sun beating down all the time takes its toll.