PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Vase's

Jon Lanier
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Here are a couple tries at designs for some Mother's Day vases. I want to keep it simple because we are going to need to make 30-50 of them. I'm going to go with the Hour Glass design. And probably will get some really curly wood and make them all the same. :o

This is some walnut the are 6.25" tall and and max out at 2" wide. I might go a little wider? Maybe 2.24" - 2.5" :confused:

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Really nice looking vases and of course gotta love walnut. Those should work fine.

Jim Burr
11-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Great looking Walnut there Jon, what's wrong with both forms?

Jon Lanier
11-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Great looking Walnut there Jon, what's wrong with both forms?

Thanks, the walnut was from the scrap bin.. just barely big enough to experiment.

We've (boys and I) have made Mother's Day presents for several years now. (minus this past year when shop was not up)

We've done turnings of sorts, scrollsaw projects...etc. But we made them from different woods. And I have found that if you don't want to cause some snarling and maybe a church split. Try to keep everything the same. We made some small scrolled rocking chair clocks of different woods one year. Oh, the problems that caused because someone didn't get a prettier wood than someone else.

So, same wood, same shape and this makes for a very happy Mother or Grand Mother.

The hour glass shape I think will be easier to make and duplicate 30-50 times.

John Keeton
11-23-2010, 7:39 AM
Neat idea, Jon, and I think the hourglass pattern looks considerably more stable - and, as you note, easier to duplicate. Nice work!

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 1:38 PM
Jon - sounds like a fun little project! Only thing I would be concerned with is the width of the base as compared to the top. I would think you would want it wider at the base - for stability.

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished vases!