PDA

View Full Version : Who would do this?

Dan Hahr
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Stealth gloat...:)

I'm just wondering if anyone else would do this or if I might have something of a tool addiction.

I recently ran across an ad listing several tools that I might be interested in. Here's what he listed:
Table saw- cast iron- $100
Bandsaw -$75
Router and table $100
Shaper- $100
more

I called about the shaper and router, as I don't have a shaper and everyone needs at least 4 routers. Turns out the shaper is a Delta Shopmaster Shaper/Router. The Porter Cable router sounds good as I need another, so I drive over to his house to check it out.

The PC 690 dual base kit is USA made and practically new. While looking at it, the guy tells me he is moving to TX in 2 days and wants these gone. He tells me he bought it all to start building furniture and I see cut out parts all over his garage, apparently right where he gave up the hobby. He says I can have the router for $50. I ask to look at what else he has.

He shows me the Ridgid bandsaw, slightly rusty table, no blade. Covered in drywall texture (he didn't bother moving it when he repaired the adjacent wall.) I already have a USA Delta model, so it really didn't get me excited. He then shows me the table saw. It is a Craftsman, about 10 years old, solid cast iron top including two wings, with long Exactafence. The motor won't run, just humms. (I suspect capacitor, he says motor is shot.) Saw is basic contractor model, but in decent shape. Still, not excited, cause I have a Unisaw. (But my Dad could use one.)

What else? Router/shaper..mint condition, never used, all there. Dremel scroll saw 16" VS, new with a broken blade. Guy says I have have all of it at $50 each. Never had a scroll saw, so that I'm interested in. Not sure the table saw is worth $50, but then realized that the cast iron wings were probably worth that.

Then the guy said he'd throw in anything else I wanted. There was a Bostich oil free crown stapler in the case, missing about 10 staples, a Craftsman miter saw (not really gloat worthy, except that it is an exact copy of my Ridgid saw, which could use a new motor), a Delta 8" grinder, 2 40" clamps, and three hanging shoplights.

Now I had no intentions of spending $250 on a bunch of stuff that I already had, but it seemed like a deal. I really didn't need any of it, but I really seem to be enjoying tool buying lately. So I went to the ATM, gave the guy $250 and went home with a truck load of stuff I didn't need.

I spent a couple hours the next day cleaning up the table saw, bandsaw, grinder, and shaper and listed them at roughly 50% of retail. I gave the TS to my Dad (just needs a capacitor) and sold the other 3 for $245. So for $5, I got a scrollsaw, router kit, staple gun, 2 clamps, and 3 shoplights.

I probably wasted a couple hours cleaning and listing, and could have held out for another $100 or so, but was happy to pass on a decent deal.

Who else buys this much stuff, just to resell it and make the deal on something else that much better? I have a good job that pays plenty enough to make my time much more valuable. My wife says I'm addicted to tool and wood hunting and I need to start making stuff. Am I alone?
Dan

Peter Pedisich
11-22-2010, 10:24 PM
1) Your wife is 100% absolutely right.
2) You are not alone.
3) Nice find on the USA made PC router!

Ted Wong
11-22-2010, 10:25 PM

I'm addicted to tool and wood hunting and I need to start making stuff. Am I alone?
Dan

Heck no. Why else do you think we all hang out here?

Mike Cozad
11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Nope, you are not alone at all. I find as much fun in the chase for tools as I do in using them. Problem is I would go broke fast. Tools are like lays chips, who can stop at one????:)

John Coloccia
11-22-2010, 10:32 PM

I'm just wondering if anyone else would do this or if I might have something of a tool addiction.

I recently ran across an ad listing several tools that I might be interested in. Here's what he listed:
Table saw- cast iron- $100
Bandsaw -$75
Router and table $100
Shaper- $100
more

I called about the shaper and router, as I don't have a shaper and everyone needs at least 4 routers. Turns out the shaper is a Delta Shopmaster Shaper/Router. The Porter Cable router sounds good as I need another, so I drive over to his house to check it out.

The PC 690 dual base kit is USA made and practically new. While looking at it, the guy tells me he is moving to TX in 2 days and wants these gone. He tells me he bought it all to start building furniture and I see cut out parts all over his garage, apparently right where he gave up the hobby. He says I can have the router for $50. I ask to look at what else he has.

He shows me the Ridgid bandsaw, slightly rusty table, no blade. Covered in drywall texture (he didn't bother moving it when he repaired the adjacent wall.) I already have a USA Delta model, so it really didn't get me excited. He then shows me the table saw. It is a Craftsman, about 10 years old, solid cast iron top including two wings, with long Exactafence. The motor won't run, just humms. (I suspect capacitor, he says motor is shot.) Saw is basic contractor model, but in decent shape. Still, not excited, cause I have a Unisaw. (But my Dad could use one.)

What else? Router/shaper..mint condition, never used, all there. Dremel scroll saw 16" VS, new with a broken blade. Guy says I have have all of it at $50 each. Never had a scroll saw, so that I'm interested in. Not sure the table saw is worth $50, but then realized that the cast iron wings were probably worth that.

Then the guy said he'd throw in anything else I wanted. There was a Bostich oil free crown stapler in the case, missing about 10 staples, a Craftsman miter saw (not really gloat worthy, except that it is an exact copy of my Ridgid saw, which could use a new motor), a Delta 8" grinder, 2 40" clamps, and three hanging shoplights.

Now I had no intentions of spending $250 on a bunch of stuff that I already had, but it seemed like a deal. I really didn't need any of it, but I really seem to be enjoying tool buying lately. So I went to the ATM, gave the guy $250 and went home with a truck load of stuff I didn't need.

I spent a couple hours the next day cleaning up the table saw, bandsaw, grinder, and shaper and listed them at roughly 50% of retail. I gave the TS to my Dad (just needs a capacitor) and sold the other 3 for $245. So for $5, I got a scrollsaw, router kit, staple gun, 2 clamps, and 3 shoplights.

I probably wasted a couple hours cleaning and listing, and could have held out for another $100 or so, but was happy to pass on a decent deal.

Who else buys this much stuff, just to resell it and make the deal on something else that much better? I have a good job that pays plenty enough to make my time much more valuable. My wife says I'm addicted to tool and wood hunting and I need to start making stuff. Am I alone?
Dan

Up until the part where you told your wife it all seemed perfectly normal to me.

:D

Van Huskey
11-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Good score!

Dave Lehnert
11-22-2010, 11:47 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/JohnnyCharger1968/Emoticons/ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

Bill White
11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Dan, you are sick. I would NEVER do anything like that (yeah, right).
Bill ;)

Dan Hahr
11-23-2010, 12:55 PM
OK.. here's some pics.

BTW, the Jet JBM-5 came at the cost of $80 with three chisels and little to no use.

And, the Southbend metal lathe was free...although is is occupying some valuable space in the shop!:)

Jon McElwain
11-23-2010, 1:11 PM
NICE!!

I am not addicted to tools - I can quit any time I want..... :D

Joseph Tarantino
11-23-2010, 2:03 PM
great score. definately suckworthy.

Kevin Womer
11-23-2010, 4:01 PM
I'm happy for you. There are much worse things we could spend our time and money on and come away with nothing to show for it.

Larry Komroff
11-23-2010, 4:24 PM
Who makes stuff? I just collect tools:D

Kyle Iwamoto
11-23-2010, 5:56 PM
So I went to the ATM, gave the guy $250 and went home with a truck load of stuff I didn't need.

That made me laugh....

Good score....

No you are not alone. I would have bought more, and not sold anything. Ending up with even more stuff I really don't need. :eek:

Chris Tsutsui
11-23-2010, 6:12 PM
Once I'm done completing and organizing my shop I will build something. :D

John Toigo
11-23-2010, 8:41 PM
Heh - I'm the guy who walks into a garage/shop/basement/warehouse and says "Hmmmmmm....how much for all of it?"

Rich Engelhardt
11-24-2010, 6:53 AM
My wife says I'm addicted to tool and wood hunting and I need to start making stuff. Am I alone?

Tell your wife it's not an addiction - so long as you know what you're buying....

It becomes an addiction when you buy $250.00 worth of "stuff" that you know is a tool of some kind, but have no idea how it works or what it does ;).