PDA

View Full Version : Now : New years Resolutions! and stick to 'em

Mark Singer
12-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Hear are mine:
1. Do all the previous years that didn't get done. Including office work stations...look for the design soon!

2. Not only keep clean but, re-organize the shop...make all the cabinets accesible and keep stuff orderly in them. Move all clamps together...all accessories near the machine they support...logical stuff

3. Build more challenging furniture. Really try to crank things up a few notches. Transitions in furniture are important, how the arm and leg meet...details really are important , work on these things.

4. Spend time with Ryan...he is getting into woodworking and I enjoy our time together.

5. drink more wine...not while in the shop though (this should not be here...)

Yours....?

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Once again, I resolve to not make resolutions...but I can certainly dream of a few I'd like to make!! :D

I do like number five, however, on your list, Mark. But it needs to read "good wine"...

Jim Young
12-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Spend more time in the shop making things.

Jeff Sudmeier
12-30-2004, 1:29 PM
Well lets see...

As everyone else, keep the shop cleaner. I clean between projects, but have a hard time keeping the shop neat during one.

Also, spend more time during the sanding and finishing stage. I tend to hurry the sanding, because I hate it.

Build a miter saw station for the new saw and dust collection for it.

Finally, finish up the install of the DC.

christopher webb
12-30-2004, 2:25 PM
love more, drink less, remember more, measure twice everytime, slow down and learn from others

Allen Grimes
12-30-2004, 2:26 PM
1. Spend as much time as I can with my son
2. Spend as much time as I can in the shop, when I'm not spending time with my son.
3. Refrain from telling my Mom-in-law how I really feel:mad: about her for another year. That one's a tuffy.
4. Continue learning as much as I can about woodworking.

Jack Hogoboom
12-30-2004, 2:53 PM
Only one:

Spend less on tools than the gross national product of a third-world country. :D

Happy New Year's everyone!!!

Jack

Robert Tarr
12-30-2004, 3:58 PM
1) I have resolved to sell the shop gear (not just wood working stuff) that I don't use, to make more room for the stuff that I do.

2) Quit finding excuses to not be in the shop, which usually ends with my behind planted in front of the TV

3) Here is the a good excuse to get number 2, above out of my system...I need to have a damaged rotator cuff repaired and I have been promising my wife I would do it for the last 3 years, as my shoulder keeps getting worse...good news, the pain will go away....bad news, 7 weeks in a sling and minimal shop time. Maybe I can wait another year or two on this one ;-)

Have a great new year and be safe.

Robert

Dan Mages
12-30-2004, 4:34 PM
1. Build my long delayed garage workshop. I will do this when the weather is nicer.
2. Keep refining my skills.
3. Build my deck
4. Keep refining my sills
5. Maybe start working on the basement
6. Keep refining my skills.... ;)
7. Get into better shape. I need to be prepared for my week long backpacking trip in Glacier Natl Park this summer.

Mark. Jim is right. Make sure it is good wine. There is also plenty of good beers that are at the same level of craft and style as good wines. It may even be a good way to spend time with Ryan.

Mark Singer
12-30-2004, 6:08 PM
Mark. Jim is right. Make sure it is good wine. There is also plenty of good beers that are at the same level of craft and style as good wines. It may even be a good way to spend time with Ryan.
I guess your not takin' manishevitz .....

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 6:13 PM
I guess your not takin' manishevitz .....G_d no!!!!

Scott Parks
12-30-2004, 7:23 PM
1. Win the Rat Race!

and, of course, enjoy a nice Cabernet:) ... or two

Joe Mioux
12-30-2004, 8:15 PM
Mark:

New Year's Resolutions:
1) Focus on health...I'm not getting any younger and I have been away from my
morning excercise routine and the doctor way too long.
2) Finish the woodworking projects that I started in 2004 and start the ones
that Anna (loml) wants me to build.
3) Don't get aggravated when the kids come out in the garage and want to
hang outwith me while I'm building something. Instead I need to stop and
play and hang out with them.
4) Just like your number 5. Drink better (maybe a little more) wines!

Happy New Year to all my SMC friends
Joe

Dan Mages
12-30-2004, 8:41 PM
I guess your not takin' manishevitz .....

Oy vey! No!! But I do have a great bottle Miraculous Jewbelation (SIC) from the Shmaltz Brewery in my fridge. It is their 8th anniversary brew. Check it out at http://www.shmaltz.com/index.html.
http://www.shmaltz.com/chotchkie/images/perfect_sign.jpg

JayStPeter
12-31-2004, 9:40 AM
Like Jim, I resolve not to make resolutions.

However, I do have some plans going forward. I spent all of my shop time and budget on the shop itself last year. This year, I plan to balance my time and budget between some real projects and finishing a few remaining major shop improvements (including a usable bench).

Jay

Tony Falotico
12-31-2004, 9:51 AM
:) Have new shop that I've been working on for over a year in WORKING ORDER by the end of January 2005. (Update & Pic's will follow in next few days).

:) Be a productive Woodworker rather than a Tool Collector by the end of February 2005.

:) Expand my knowledge base and horizons on woodworking (I ordered George Nakashima and Sam Maloof books from Amazon this morning). Try to come out of my 'engineers' box and think creatively (if nothing else, at least round-over the square edges). Mark & Jim -- keep after us on Design Forum -- ya' got me thinking!

:) Take better physical care of myself, use the home gym for more than storage and clothes hanging.

:) Enjoy life, The LOML, the kids and grandkids to the fullest, be thankful for all the blessings My God has given me, be a better person each day than I was the previous day.

Okay, I forgot.... there's one more

:) Begin exploring those NEANDERTHAL FEELINGS (URGES?) I've been having lately. Dig out, decide what they are, restore and use some of the old planes and tools my father left behind.

Chris DeHut
12-31-2004, 11:38 AM
For me, the monkey on my back (beside being a workaholic) is smoking. Been smoking since I was a teenager and have tried to quit many, many times.

2005 will be the year I quit and I will need all the help I can get.

For those of you that are subscribers to the magazine, keep an eye on me to see if I start sounding cranky or if I look to "Wired" and let me know! As issues #13 and #14 are filmed already - things should be A-Okay there, but number 15 is going to be real tough :eek:

Wish me luck!

Chris

Jerry Olexa
12-31-2004, 11:58 AM
Sidenote to Jim Becker: Agree on good wines. My son treated me to a '93 Silver Oak Napa Cab a few days ago. Oustanding ! I prefer it to many bordeaux.As Jack Welsh, GE said "order the better wines". I'd add Ripple to Mark's list.

2005 Resolutions for me:
1. Be patient
2. Pay more attention to detail
3. Learn something new (technique or skill)w each project.
4. Learn to finish professionally (Patience)
5. Stretch your skill level

and oh yes,
6, Buy less Tools (Yeah right...)

Happy New Year To all!!!

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2004, 12:06 PM
1. Spend time with the wife and kids.
2. Spend more time in the shop.
3. Learn how to use more handtools.
4. Learn hand inlay and marquetry
5. Improve my skills as a woodturner

That should keep me busy for a while. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Glenn Clabo
12-31-2004, 1:06 PM
1. Less work...more play.
2. Explore the local wines more...but test those gifted. (That's a HINT...Mark!)
3. Less work...more play.
4. Continue a daily prayer for peace.
5. Did I say Less work...more play?
6. Celebrate and enjoy #55.

Glenn Clabo
12-31-2004, 1:12 PM
Post this in your shop Chris...

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="80%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">Within 20 minutes</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Your blood pressure and pulse rate drops</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">Within eight hours</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Carbon monoxide and oxygen levels in your blood returns to normal</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">Within 24 hours</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Your chance of heart attack decreases</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">Within 48 hours</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Your ability to smell and taste is better</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">Between two weeks and three months</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Your circulation and lung function improves and walking becomes easier</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">Within one to nine months</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Cilia grow again in the lungs, fatigue, coughing, sinus congestion and shortness of breath decrease</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">After just a year</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Your risk of heart attack is less than that of smoker</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">After five years</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Your odds of developing lung, throat, mouth and esophagus cancer drops by almost half</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">Between five and 15 years</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">After 10 years</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">Your lung cancer death rate is similar to that of non-smokers</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">After 15 years</TD><TD align=middle width="60%">You have the same risk of heart disease as a non-smoker</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mark Singer
12-31-2004, 3:21 PM
Glenn,

Very important facts for all!

I never have smoked (cigarettes):D

John Miliunas
01-01-2005, 12:15 AM
1) Try to make/keep shop more organized.
2) Learn and do more designing.
3) Practice more hand tool techniques.
4) Work on joinery techniques.

Mind you, I'd be happy if I were to do any ONE of these things to the BEST of my abilities! Still, all are good goals.:) :cool:

Corvin Alstot
01-01-2005, 1:19 AM
Hear are mine:

3. Build more challenging furniture. Really try to crank things up a few notches. Transitions in furniture are important, how the arm and leg meet...details really are important , work on these things.

If you are going to build more challenging projects, I can't wait to see what you have in mind.

Mark/
Good subject, I think I have a few that are similar.
1. Finish the projects from this year that are not yet complete, including a work bench that is woefully behind.
<STRIKE>2. Clean the shop. </STRIKE>Nah, just make more projects. Your scale and quantity of projects have inspired me to get moving on more projects.
3. Read more.
4. Travel more, and look at more furniture and architecture.
5. Seize the day!

Bart Leetch
01-01-2005, 2:33 AM
:eek: I will continue to buy tools :eek: :D :D :D

I'll also continue to work to provide homes to those who are not as fortunate as most. :)

Phil Phelps
01-01-2005, 8:04 AM
I will pay no more federal taxes. There is a fine woodworking shop in the Texas federal prison. :eek:

Tyler Howell
01-01-2005, 9:02 AM
You made me do it. Wasn't Going to. Putting pen to paper or finger to key as you will.
"Plan your work then work you plan."
A word from my motivational speaking days "If you can put it on paper you can do it"

More time and support for my family.
Safely, Loose 100 pounds (that’s right you heard it here. )
Watchdog my investments.
Strap the skis back on.
Play and listen to more music.
Get back to teaching.
Take at least 2 WW classes.
Read more.
Purge all the old unused stuff.
Wear out this tool collection with creative use.
Mark ,
As design moderator perhaps we could do a follow up say quarterly to see how as a community can support each others "plans and designs" for the coming year. We can also assess outcomes at the end of the year to see if we need to set the bar a little higher or set more reasonable goals. Or I could enroll in therapy:o , but this is a good place to start.
Thanks I needed that.
Happy New Year

Rich Konopka
01-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Happy New Year to all my Friends at SMC !!!!

I wish you all Health Happiness and Prosperity in the new Year !!!

My New Year resolutions:

Call an old friend who I haven't spoken with in the past several years.

Focus less on my career and more on myself and family

Fight the Battle of the Bulge and start running again

Post an avatar of me on my 1 year anniversary of joining the creek

Dring more Red Wine !!!

Mark & Jim: From one wine lover to another check out GunBun.com (http://www.gunbun.com)

I came back from a trip to Napa and Sonoma in early December and brought back 3 cases of wine. Their 99 estate Merlot is the absolute best full bodied red I have tasted. I actually preferred it over the Opus :D If you like inexpensive wines the have a great blend called Bearitage.

Cheers

Mark Singer
01-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Yeah with quarterly pics for proof! [/QUOTE=Tyler Howell]You made me do it. Wasn't Going to. Putting pen to

Mark ,
As design moderator perhaps we could do a follow up say quarterly to see how as a community can support each others "plans and designs" for the coming year. We can also assess outcomes at the end of the year to see if we need to set the bar a little higher or set more reasonable goals. Or I could enroll in therapy:o , but this is a good place to start.
Thanks I needed that.
Happy New Year[/QUOTE]

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Mark & Jim: From one wine lover to another check out GunBun.com (http://www.gunbun.com/)

I came back from a trip to Napa and Sonoma in early December and brought back 3 cases of wine. Their 99 estate Merlot is the absolute best full bodied red I have tasted. I actually preferred it over the Opus :D If you like inexpensive wines the have a great blend called Bearitage.

Rich, thanks for the reference...I'll try to find some and check it out. Living in PA severely limits "aquisition choices" due to our out-dated liquor laws. It's either the PA state-owned stores or driving to NJ...with the latter prefered for both selection and pricing.

Mark Singer
01-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Corvin,
About the more challenging projects....
We all have plenty to learn about woodworking. All of us at every level can improve and the key is to have the desire and not just repeat old , fall back techniques , but add new ones. I learned a great deal last year! I credit my friends here at SMC for a great deal of that. I get inspired by others work and it makes me research new techniques and learn new skills. There is a great exchange of information here, The interaction is amazing...just look at all the new interest in planes , chisels, workbenches and hand tools.....you know their work is going to improve! It is because of their exposure to others techniques here at SMC. It is a great place to learn and grow....for all!

Rich Konopka
01-01-2005, 1:04 PM
Rich, thanks for the reference...I'll try to find some and check it out. Living in PA severely limits "aquisition choices" due to our out-dated liquor laws. It's either the PA state-owned stores or driving to NJ...with the latter prefered for both selection and pricing. Jim:

We have/had the same laws here in the "Blue Laws" state of CT. I used to receive the monthly selection from them and they stopped because of the stupid laws. They still cannot sell liquor,wine or beer after 8:00PM and Sundays in CT.. The Supreme court is actually hearing a case on this issue and is expected to rule on it in 05. The suit alleges the laws prohibit free trade.

Cheers