PDA

View Full Version : master turnings - a gloat also too

Sean Hughto
11-22-2010, 9:06 PM
So one of my woodworking idols is Curtis Buchanan (noted Tennessee chairmaker). His Windsors and other chairs have inspired and impressed me ever since I first heard of him and saw some of his works. I've been on his wait list for years, and finally this week, received one of his comb back windsor rockers. I wanted to post here not so much to gloat, but to share a couple of pictures of the turning work he does. Having turned a bit myself for the least year, his skill and talent is all that much more impressive and appreciated. Just wanted to share.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5193086218_1094a6aba8_b.jpg

Roger Chandler
11-22-2010, 9:17 PM
Great gloat Sean! If I had gotten one, I would gloat also! Beautiful work by a master for sure!

alex carey
11-22-2010, 9:20 PM
yep, thats a beautiful chair you got there.

Scott Hackler
11-22-2010, 9:20 PM
Sean that is awesome. I absolutely love it. The winsor style is a favorite of mine and it looks like you've got an example of a master chair maker. Cafe to share (even by PM) what one of those cost?

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2010, 9:26 PM
Beautiful piece Sean. Wow that is nice.

Pete Jordan
11-22-2010, 9:29 PM
That is incredible!!!

Sean Hughto
11-22-2010, 9:30 PM
I don't want advertise the price, but it was completely fair in my estimation. Curtis has a long wait list, so I think he could probably be charging more, if he were so inclined.

Curt Fuller
11-22-2010, 9:47 PM
That's a beautiful chair! It takes so much talent all gathered into one person to make something like that.

But I also wanted to tell you that I like the Thanksgiving Turkey in the background. Is that from one of your kids, grandkids, ????? Some of my favorite art in our house is from my kids and grandkids at that stage in their lives.

Sean Hughto
11-22-2010, 9:55 PM
Thanks. I agree that is is amazing for one person to be able to turn so well, carve so well, and make sound and beautiful chairs so well!

And thanks on noticing the picture too. My daughter made that rooster ( I can see how you thought turkey ;-)) in kindergarten. We loved it, and decided it needed a frame and good place on the wall.

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Sean, count me among those that truly admire a Windsor!! This is a beautiful example, and you are right - there are so many varied skills at work in producing a quality masterpiece such as this. Thanks for posting! And, congrats on what promises to be a family heirloom.