PDA

View Full Version : Smell from hot air duct?

Ed Gibbons
11-22-2010, 7:59 PM
There is a strange smell coming from one of my hot air heating ducts. No other duct has the smell. First I thought it smelled like plastic burning but I don't think so. The smell went away for several days and came back. It seems to come up when the heat kicks on...not really sure because so far in NJ it hasn't been cold enough be me to see that pattern.

One thought I have is possibly a dead rodent....but just guessing here.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Oh, no smell at all is coming from furnace.

Dan Hintz
11-23-2010, 6:59 AM
A dead rodent wouldn't smell like burning plastic, it'd smell like burning hair (blech!) or rotting flesh (surprisingly not as bad as hair). Has the duct not been used in a while? Maybe dust burning off?

Mike Wilkins
11-23-2010, 9:17 AM
You may need to go into your crawlspace and have a look at the offending duct. It is possible that it has come loose or damaged and pulling some kind of funky smell from the crawlspace area.

Pat Germain
11-23-2010, 9:33 AM
Do you have kids? My brother bought a slightly used trailer a few years ago and found numerous plastic action figures in the HVAC vents.

It would be worthwhile to grab a flashlight, pop off the vent and take a look.

Rick Moyer
11-23-2010, 5:14 PM
Do you have kids? My brother bought a slightly used trailer a few years ago and found numerous plastic action figures in the HVAC vents.

It would be worthwhile to grab a flashlight, pop off the vent and take a look.
Or maybe a crayon...

Matt Meiser
11-23-2010, 5:32 PM
What kind of heat?

walter conell
11-25-2010, 10:22 PM
If it's ductboard type duct- this ducting will take on a plastic, musty odor if it gets wet or overheats.