PDA

View Full Version : First Rough Outs From Ken Hill"s

Baxter Smith
11-22-2010, 7:11 PM
Ken beat me to the first rough out from Saturdays gathering (and he wouldn’t have had to have done it at 5 am yesterday either). I had recovered enough today though to prove that my favorite firewood ( his white oak) wasn’t going to be used for that. Then again, its not done yet!:eek: Burns a lot better dry anyway.:D

Started this morning on the half of a white oak crotch I had cut. I think Peter may have the other half.
Turned it between centers to start and adjusted as necessary. Then between tenons to work down in from both sides. There was a bark inclusion on the bottom that goes within about 1/4 inch of the top. Hopefully it can be returned without being visible on top. Soaked it with CA. 13.5 at present.
Next up was an unsplit piece. It had a couple of questionable spots
but with the exception of a crack on the far right, it looked better than I thought it might.
Ended up roughed out at 11.5.

Baxter Smith
11-22-2010, 7:15 PM
The remaining crotch piece I turned thin and put some AO on. Still needs to be sanded but thought the oil might slow down the drying a little.
Had a nice little bowl for dip in the center but then stuck my 5/8 bowl gouge where it had no business being (where the plate and bowl met) and…. so much for testing the liquid holding capabilities of white oak.
Instead I have a little glass bowl holder. 12.5 in diameter. The platter that is!

Split one of the hickory pieces and roughed out what may become an 8” lidded pedestal dish. Hollowed out the pedestal from the bottom. Don’t know how well that will dry or what I will use for the lid.
The other half became a 10” NE bowl.
They are all in bags now on the floor of my basement stairwell. The turned thin ones had plastic wrapped around the edges as well. In a month or two I may try sanding the thin ones.
Thanks again Ken for a great time:D and some good looking wood!

Ken Hill
11-22-2010, 7:21 PM
They are off to a great start Baxter!!!! You are quite welcome!

charlie knighton
11-22-2010, 9:08 PM
thanks for sharing Baxter, those crotch pieces are really going to be nice

Sean Hughto
11-22-2010, 9:10 PM
I'm jealous! Sweet blanks. Good looking rough outs too.

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2010, 9:11 PM
Baxter you are on a roll my friend. Those crotch pieces are going to be nice.

Dennis Ford
11-22-2010, 9:21 PM
Good Gloat!

David E Keller
11-22-2010, 10:14 PM
That looks like fun... I'm kinda partial to that natural edge piece.

Tony De Masi
11-23-2010, 6:44 AM
Way to go Baxter. No sense in waiting with all those fine pieces you got at Kens. Some really nice looking pieces there. I also really like that NE.

Baxter Smith
11-23-2010, 5:23 PM
They are off to a great start Baxter!!!! You are quite welcome!

Thanks Ken! Hopefully a good finish too!

thanks for sharing Baxter, those crotch pieces are really going to be nice

Its pretty stuff Charlie. Makes me wonder about the white oak crotch pieces I have cussed at because they were tough to split before going in the stove.

Baxter you are on a roll my friend. Those crotch pieces are going to be nice.
Thanks Bernie. Each one has a potential weak area but hopefully at least one will survive.

Good Gloat!
Thanks Dennis, never thought of it that way but I guess it is! So stay tuned for another!

Way to go Baxter. No sense in waiting with all those fine pieces you got at Kens. Some really nice looking pieces there. I also really like that NE.

Thanks Tony. I can’t keep all my wood from going bad but I can try!

Thought I would core the sycamore from in front of Ken’s house today. I left the very bottom (biggest) section for Ken to turn. Either that or I was running out of gas that afternoon and this one was big enough for me to pick up.
Had to use the largest template I had made last spring when I was thinking of turning outboard on my 12” lathe.
Ready to core. The diameter of the largest bowl is right at 15 ¾.
A little drying, a little sanding(yea right) and they might be kind of pretty. May have to reconsider letting that other half rot/spalt into something nice!:)

Baxter Smith
11-23-2010, 5:24 PM
Another thank you Ken! Five more to be exact!

Ken Hill
11-23-2010, 5:30 PM
Baxter that is just awesome!!!!

I may need your services, or someone who can turn a bit larger piece then I can at the current time.

I got that big buck this morning and while I cant afford to have him mounted, I will do a Europeon mount and would LOVE for the wooden plaque the skull and horns go on to be from my woods!

Here is the buck (WARNING-Its me and Deer I shot, do not click it if you cant handle it)

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR3016/1101879709_yHzGr-L.jpg

Roger Chandler
11-23-2010, 6:54 PM

I may need yoru services, or someone who can turn a bit larger piece then I can at the current time.

I got that big buck this morning and while I cant afford to have him mounted, I will do a Europeon mount and would LOVE for the wooden plaque the skull and horns go on to be from my woods!

Here is the buck (WARNING-Its me and Deer I shot, do not click it if you cant handle it)

Ken,

Great buck! congrats!

Baxter Smith
11-23-2010, 8:54 PM

I may need your services, or someone who can turn a bit larger piece then I can at the current time.

Ken, that is just awsome too!!!!
Anything I can do is the least I can do. (Though that may not be much!:))
Whatever you have in mind I would be willing to try. The other half of the Sycamore is the only thing left from you over 10 inches. Just roughed out half of the last piece of hickory. That was about 10 inches and the remaining side is the same. The cherry and walnut are the only other things left and they are 9-10 if I remember correctly.
The first white oak crotch platter at 13.5 is pretty flat and when returned you might end up with a 3/4 inch thick flat surface. Again I would be willing to try anything. Pickup and delivery will cost you though unless you've hauled out that cherry!:)

Whats up with that "at the current time" comment?:)

Ken Hill
11-23-2010, 9:18 PM
The loggers wont be back in here for 2 weeks, then we will tackle that cherry! You will get what you would like from it for sure! I can even cut and load up and meet you near teh bay bridge for lunch, maybe even near greensboro so I can stop in and say hello to my old boss.

Im not really sure of teh size as of yet, when I drop the head off to have the taxidermy man's beetles eat off teh hide and meat, I will see what he has in his book as far as the typical sizes. They arent really all that large, but I know atleat 12 inches so that leaves me and my delta out.

Might even see if Dan can engrave the date and put something on it, after all I did kill him in a creek:D

Ken Hill
11-23-2010, 9:23 PM
Oh to add....

My Bear hunting buddys have assured me a big bear this year so maybe we need to make two haha!:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow Baxter - you sure have been busy! Beautiful work on everything! Really liked the last platter you had shown and then I see the cored out 5 bowl set! Nice - very nice!

Ken - congrats on getting that buck! Been quite a while since I've seen one with a rack that size around here!

Dan Hintz
11-24-2010, 6:11 AM
Hey, if you guys want a quick laser engrave on the bottom of a bowl, like a date or name, I can do that no problem.

Baxter Smith
11-24-2010, 1:34 PM
The loggers wont be back in here for 2 weeks, then we will tackle that cherry! You will get what you would like from it for sure! I can even cut and load up and meet you near teh bay bridge for lunch, maybe even near greensboro so I can stop in and say hello to my old boss.

Im not really sure of teh size as of yet, when I drop the head off to have the taxidermy man's beetles eat off teh hide and meat, I will see what he has in his book as far as the typical sizes. They arent really all that large, but I know atleat 12 inches so that leaves me and my delta out.

Might even see if Dan can engrave the date and put something on it, after all I did kill him in a creek:D

I googled "European Mount" just to get some ideas. Didn't see any round ones but one like this might be appropriate too.
http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Arrowhead-European-Pedestal-Plaque/dp/B002ZTK6QC
You could take one of those slabs you have roughed out and cut it on your bandsaw. Don't know if you have a planer and router but I would be happy to do it either way. Turned or otherwise.

Thanks for the offer on the cherry but I don't "need" any more wood.;)
But another road trip for fun is always a possibility.:)

If you still have that squirrel, you might try a little one out of that sycamore!

Hey, if you guys want a quick laser engrave on the bottom of a bowl, like a date or name, I can do that no problem.
Dan, I would love to see your machine in action some time just to watch.
Guess its kind of like real estate. Location, location, location!:)

Mike Cruz
11-24-2010, 4:33 PM
Baxter, those look awesome! I'm jealous as can be. Keep 'em spinning.

Ray Bell
11-24-2010, 5:12 PM
Baxter, you don't waste any time. All of those are very nice.

Baxter Smith
11-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Wow Baxter - you sure have been busy! Beautiful work on everything! Really liked the last platter you had shown and then I see the cored out 5 bowl set! Nice - very nice!

Ken - congrats on getting that buck! Been quite a while since I've seen one with a rack that size around here!
Thanks Steve. Time flies when your having fun!:)

Baxter, those look awesome! I'm jealous as can be. Keep 'em spinning.
Thanks Mike. You will have your lathe and body up and running soon!

Baxter, you don't waste any time. All of those are very nice.
Thanks Ray. Its fun to try and turn a new kind of wood. Had never turned sycamore or hickory and the only white oak I had done was a dry piece. This was a lot easier!:)

Ken Hill
11-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks for that link Baxter, it gives me some great ideas! I will measure his skull and I might eb able to turn it, I thought it would be a bit larger in diameter!

The entire family has been viewing this thread, the wife loves what youve done and the kids asked when I could do that LOL! The In-Laws are up and they cant comment enough on what you have been able to turn!

I busted open a piece of that big Maple today and man oh man it is sure pretty inside!