PDA

View Full Version : iPad

Peter Stahl
11-22-2010, 2:48 PM
Anyone have a iPad? What do you think of it? What do you use it for? I tried to watch the videos on the Apple site but they won't run on my PC. I even downloaded the new Quicktime player which I thought it used.

Scott Shepherd
11-22-2010, 3:30 PM
I don't own one, but my brother uses one for work. He was the last person I'd ever expect to own one or even like one. I have heard him repeatedly tell people that they can have his when they pry it from his dead fingers.

He has since bought 3 or 4 for people that report to him. Not a one of them is computer savvy, so they just like it because it's easy and it works.

Not sure what your application would be, but from everything I have seen with it, it's a very nice device.

Orion Henderson
11-22-2010, 3:43 PM
I have one and love it. That said, there are a couple of things I wish it did-like sync my ipod on its own and allow easy uploading of pics.

I use it for e-mail, e-book, teaching writing, and web surfing primarily. I will use it to entertain young kids with videos when we travel-but haven't done that yet. I am not a gamer so I can't speak for the games. I love the battery life and instant on. We will see how it travels for business in a week or two as well.

Bruce Page
11-22-2010, 3:49 PM
Peter, YouTube has several videos on it.
LOML got me one for my birthday a few weeks ago. It is a cool little gadget. I have been using it mainly for an E-reader and personally like it better than her Kindle for that purpose. It's great for email and web browsing - I'm still in the learning process but it seems very capable.
Apple's app store has 1000's of applications for it.

Peter Stahl
11-22-2010, 7:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. My wife has hinted she might want one so maybe I'll get her one for christmas. Did all of you get the $499 one? This is probably the closest we'll ever get to owning a iPhone as we have Verizon for our cell's.

Jeff Monson
11-22-2010, 7:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. My wife has hinted she might want one so maybe I'll get her one for christmas. Did all of you get the $499 one? This is probably the closest we'll ever get to owning a iPhone as we have Verizon for our cell's.

I've heard there is an iphone very close for verizon.

Scott Shepherd
11-22-2010, 7:38 PM
January on the Verizon iphone. It's done. The plants are in full production making the chips for the verizon network phones (it uses a different technology than AT&T).

Brian Elfert
11-22-2010, 9:42 PM
I'll believe that Verizon is getting the iPhone when Verizon and/or Apple make the announcement. The CDMA chipsets in production could just as well be going to other countries that still also CDMA.

My employer would like to replace Blackberrys with iPhones, but we need to stick with Verizon. We've done some Droids, but we're trying to hold out for the iPhone. (Personally, I just want a phone that simply makes voice calls.)

Peter Stahl
11-22-2010, 9:46 PM
I'll believe that Verizon is getting the iPhone when Verizon and/or Apple make the announcement. The CDMA chipsets in production could just as well be going to other countries that still also CDMA.

My employer would like to replace Blackberrys with iPhones, but we need to stick with Verizon. We've done some Droids, but we're trying to hold out for the iPhone. (Personally, I just want a phone that simply makes voice calls.)

Voice calls Brian, I didn't think anyone talked into them anymore.

Scott Shepherd
11-22-2010, 10:14 PM
It's a done deal with verizon. It will be available in January. The wall street analyst have already began factoring it in. A great source is macrumors(dot)com.

Eric Franklin
11-23-2010, 6:19 AM
It's a done deal with verizon. It will be available in January. The wall street analyst have already began factoring it in. A great source is macrumors(dot)com.

With Apple, nothing is a done deal until it's officially announced by Apple. The original iPhone was rumored for 5 years before it was ever released. There was many times in that 5 years that people thought it was coming out.

I do personally agree that we will see a Verizon iPhone in January.

Dan Hintz
11-23-2010, 6:30 AM
I'm picking up the 32GB WiFi + 3GS version for Amy for Chanukah ($730). If you're looking at the $500 version (16GB WiFi only), try TJ Maxx of all places... they supposedly have a handful and at a cheaper price.

Jerry Moyers
11-24-2010, 9:00 AM
I have the $499 WiFi ipad and use it at my chair for keeping in the loop on breaking news, blogs, eMail, ect. Use the Kindle app to read books.

A couple of friends were over to light the drinking lamp the other day and we could not remember the weight of an M60 v/s a BAR - bam! mr ipad came out and cleared that right up!

Some videos don't play on the ipad yet and some are slow loading but those are minor issues to me.

If Dear Wife decides to get one I will wait until early next year when the thinner one comes out, but I think she will want the new MacBook Air instead.

Craig D Peltier
11-24-2010, 9:17 AM
I had the 64g 3g Ipad since June , just sold it. Was tired of so many videos running on flash and it wouldnt work. Steve Jobs needs to get over his ego with Adobe before I buy another one. Plus not being able to add folders or DL programs to it really irked me for and $800 toy.Typing on that virtual screen is so slow. I bought a Mac wireless keyboard and it worked great.I cant begin to tell you how many links or attachments I got via emails that didnt work due to no flash though.
Things I did like, instant on, very portable, battery life , apps.

When Ipad 2 or 3 comes out I might get another.

Its a fun toy thats needs to be improved in a very standard PC way.

Keith Outten
11-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Apple has released the 4.2 operting system upgrade for the Ipads, Ipods and Iphones. Lots of new features including multitasking and a host of other goodies like folders to store your files, etc.

Dan Karachio
11-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Work bought us one for "research purposes," and when I can get it away from my wife I find it useful for email and browsing and it sure beats running to the computer or having the laptop around for that, but I'm really not sold on it as any kind of productivity tool for a home user. However, if you were managing logistics or materials for a large facility or plant, a nurse or doctor (in a rural area for example) and other jobs, it could be very helpful (when apps exist to support more work). At home, it's fun, it's neat, it's cool, but I can't think that anyone actually *needs* one. It does nothing to improve the communication between a married couple! I watched some Tommy Mac videos on it this evening sitting one foot from my wife who was trying to read.

Oh, and it's good for checking SMC when you are in the TV room like, right now!

Shawn Pixley
11-25-2010, 9:58 AM
I have one and it is great. Yesterday I read a book on it, looked at Sawmill creek, used it for reference making a turkey roulade, and watched a video. It is great to travel with as well. I have ~10 videos, 30-40 books, and 3000+ songs. You can watch 3-4 movies on it on a single charge.

Brian Ashton
11-25-2010, 5:28 PM
I like the concept of the Ipad but will wait till it has a few reincarnations. My primary use right now would be for school to view elcture slides and work on assignments. What I would be waiting for is a docking station that allows the user to use an external keyboard and monitor. I'm also hoping they will make the over all size smaller and have a mobile phone. But if apple doesn't do it someone else will. Which in someways would be better as Mac Office is junk compared to PC Office.

Keith Outten
11-25-2010, 6:43 PM
Brian,

I have a bluetooth keyboard and a video connector cable for my Ipad. I also have a camera connection kit that allows me to either plug my camera to the device or to insert SD cards and upload pictures directly.

Google is working on an Ipad type device that will run their own operating system.

Jeff Heil
11-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Love mine, not a mac user either. I got it to be an e-book reader over a Kindle, since the Kindle is not backlit and the iPad is. Reading in bed with a sleeping wife is easier as a result. I use it more than I thought I would for email and web surfing.

Some .asp webpages won't render properly, also had the same flash frustrations as others. Love Netflix movies when traveling, also easier than hauling along the laptop.

Peter Stahl
12-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Wanted to say thanks to everyone for their replies again. I did get my wife a iPad for Christmas and so far she really likes it. It does a lot more than I thought they did. Maybe I'll get another in February when they come out with the next version. She bought her first book for it last night and really likes it much better over a paperback. Well lit and she doesn't get cramps in her hands holding the book open. My son was playing a game called "angry Birds" on it last night was really hooked on it. Does graphics really well.

Dan Hintz
12-27-2010, 11:59 AM
I held off on my Chanukah purchase due to the iPad 2 coming out in April (it will be released from the manufacturers in January, but won't make it into retail streams until April). The price should be roughly the same, but the new one will have 2 cameras (forward- and reverse-facing), USB ports, and their new high-res Retina display (like on the latest iPhone), among other things.

Mike Hollingsworth
12-27-2010, 12:19 PM
most incredible app --- Star Walk

Peter Stahl
12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I held off on my Chanukah purchase due to the iPad 2 coming out in April (it will be released from the manufacturers in January, but won't make it into retail streams until April). The price should be roughly the same, but the new one will have 2 cameras (forward- and reverse-facing), USB ports, and their new high-res Retina display (like on the latest iPhone), among other things.

Thanks for the info Dan.

Dan Hintz
12-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Peter,

Expect some decent deals on the original when #2 comes out... people will be wanting to dump their remaining stock.

glenn bradley
12-27-2010, 2:42 PM
(Personally, I just want a phone that simply makes voice calls.)

We all do. We're just too dazzled by the sparkly objects to remember what a phone is for. I do like the idea of a good, versatile PDA. Just don't jam it into my phone; it makes the phone too big and the PDA too small ;-)

Rod Upfold
12-27-2010, 2:56 PM
Got my wife one for Christmas - she loves it.

I didn't know what to get her and she been talking about them...shuttered at the price though.

Jim Barrett
12-27-2010, 3:41 PM
I think before you purchase an iPad you need to realize it is for "consuming" information and not "creating" information...if you want to create buy a laptop...you'll be happier.

Jim

Scott Shepherd
12-27-2010, 6:03 PM
I think before you purchase an iPad you need to realize it is for "consuming" information and not "creating" information...if you want to create buy a laptop...you'll be happier.

Jim

Just curious why you'd say that. They have the entire package available for creating documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and websites. What else would you like to create that you can't? AutoCAD even has an application for it that allows editing of AutoCAD drawings. Not sure what you want it to do that it can't do, considering it's not a full blown laptop.

Jim Barrett
12-27-2010, 6:41 PM
Just curious why you'd say that. They have the entire package available for creating documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and websites. What else would you like to create that you can't? AutoCAD even has an application for it that allows editing of AutoCAD drawings. Not sure what you want it to do that it can't do, considering it's not a full blown laptop.

The reason why I said that is I personally think the iPad is great for browsing the Internet, email, photos, etc...ok so now you have more applications that you can use on the iPad but how well can it really do all of those things. You probably need to get a keyboard then maybe a disc drive so you might as well just get a MacBook...which I have by the way and think it is great!
If I was to purchase an iPad that is how I would use it...consuming not creating...if I want to create I'll use my MacBook.
As always JMHO!

Jim

Scott Shepherd
12-27-2010, 8:01 PM
No problem Jim, I wasn't looking for a fight, I was genuinely curious on why you thought you couldn't create on it. What software would you use on your Mac to create that you can't do on the ipad?

I'm really debating one, and my thoughts were that it would easily pay for itself. I cut my internet off at home years ago, and if I need to use the internet at home, I use my iphone. Instead of dropping another $60 a month for internet or having to get some stupid bundle package I don't want, I was thinking I could get the $25 a month plan and an ipad. It would save me $45 a month, which in a years time, would just about pay for itself over the high speed internet.

Dan Hintz
12-27-2010, 8:08 PM
Jim,

The iPad requires you to shift your thinking a bit... for the average consumer, it's possibly closer to what you say. But to anyone with a creative spirit it can be significantly more. As Steve pointed out with AutoCAD, it's a great tool to have while walking through a building site discussing the plans pulled up on the screen. Keith uses it to great effect discussing his previous designs with potential clients. It makes a great on-the-go sketch pad for the artist, and a quick data collector for someone in the field.

It's all in how you use it...

Jim Barrett
12-27-2010, 8:25 PM
Well I guess if you can use it effectively then I think it is a great option to have...would be curious to hear how well it works for you...

Jim

Jim Becker
12-27-2010, 9:48 PM
An iPad is on my list for 2011 when the next version with the cameras is released. (I want to use it with some ground-breaking software that my employer has developed) If it wasn't for that video need, I'd have one already.

Peter Stahl
12-28-2010, 5:56 AM
I bought the iPad for my wife because she's a web surfer, Facebook stuff and she wanted a Kindle and this thing is a Kindle on steroids. Much easier to hold on her lap then a laptop. I didn't realize how much you could do with it. Might even get a Macbook for my next laptop too.

Greg Peterson
12-28-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm going to wait until the pad market matures. We are just in the first generation with competitors soon to bring their offerings to market. Just like the iPod, the iPad is a game changer.

Jim - I think you hit the nail on the head. The iPad is the ideal tool for consuming content. As for creating content, there are certainly instances where the form factor is clearly superior to anything currently available. The form factor will lend itself to uses and applications previously not thought of. As mentioned by Dan, walking through a site and using the iPad as a blue print reference. Image standing on the site of your new home, using an application similar to Star Walker that generates a three dimensional view of the living room or kitchen of your as yet to built house. You can look out your front picture window before it's built.

But building web sites or coding applications? Perhaps in a pinch. I don't see the laptop or desktop going away anytime soon.

Matt Meiser
12-29-2010, 8:24 AM
Greg, I'm with you. My brother brings an iPad every time he comes to visit so I've gotten some time to play with it. The more I use it the more I like it. For 90% of my use it would replace my netbook. Having USB it probably would 100%. But when some good quality Android tablets hit the market that could change the game again like Android phones. I played with a Samsung Tab at Costco but its too small--between my Evo 4G and and iPad. There's a few out that are absolute junk based on reviews.

Peter Stahl
12-29-2010, 8:34 AM
Greg, I'm with you. My brother brings an iPad every time he comes to visit so I've gotten some time to play with it. The more I use it the more I like it. For 90% of my use it would replace my netbook. Having USB it probably would 100%. But when some good quality Android tablets hit the market that could change the game again like Android phones. I played with a Samsung Tab at Costco but its too small--between my Evo 4G and and iPad. There's a few out that are absolute junk based on reviews.

They do make a USB/SD card adapter for the iPad. Next generation is supposed to have a USB port and 2 cameras.

Matt Meiser
12-29-2010, 8:37 AM
I knew there are some Bluetooth devices out for it. I think USB would be better because I assume you'd be be able to plug in any old USB keyboard, hard drive, etc. Maybe not a safe assumption.

Peter Stahl
12-29-2010, 9:14 AM
Matt, Go to Amazon and put "Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit" in the item search box. Look at the replies, several said they used it for a keyboard adapter. I think Apple is now see that people want it to be more of a Netbook than just a supped up Kindle. For a business traveler this could be a great tool and you don't have to lug around a heavy laptop. It is really light and easy to use. A OS more like that of the Mac's would be nice but I guess it wasn't meant to be a baby Laptop. There are a lot of really good apps out there for it though.