PDA

View Full Version : RT....Horizontal & Vertical...in 1 table...anyone??

George Farra
11-22-2010, 1:32 PM
I've come to appreciate the versatility of a horizontal router table for cutting joinery and raised panel doors. With space being an issue in my workshop....and it time to build a new router table, I'm considering designing a table that will enable both vertical & horizontal configurations.

Has anyone done this? Can you share pictures and design features?

In my head the top needs to be 2 parts which securely join together to suport a place in the traditional configuration. The back section pops out so that a different top design can be secured to create the horizontal configuration

Thoughts on this??

TIA

George

Gary Curtis
11-22-2010, 1:54 PM
A guy in France posted this contraption - with pictures - on the Router Forum:

http://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/23650-very-very-very-sophisticated-router-table.html

Unfortunately, it is not something you can buy.

You can get around the issue with a WoodRat or Router Boss or Multi-Router.
I have the WoodRat. It doesn't wholly replace a router table, but what it doesn't do I can handle with a hand router and quality Edge Guide, such as the Micro Fence.

Chip Lindley
11-22-2010, 3:15 PM
If you have the $$$ go for one of these JDS Multi-Routers:

There has also been a shop-made version of the same fixture made of MDF. The HoMade version would work just as well for many $hundreds$ less.

Or, just keep it very simple! A plywood or MDF aux. table that clamps to your RT. A simple radiused slot with bolt and wing nut to adjust height.

Walter Plummer
11-22-2010, 3:29 PM
Router jigs and Techniques by Patrick Spielman published in 1988 had plans for that. ISBN#0-8069-6694-7 I don't know if its still in print but the library may have it .

Jaze Derr
11-22-2010, 8:07 PM
Don't know if it's what you are looking for, but Carol Reed's book (http://books.google.com/books?id=1VgUpQfPEuYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=carol+reed+router&source=bl&ots=OzpSo1ltMy&sig=1TH2gz2HaANrlQBAkP7gBEtWH34&hl=en&ei=axPrTOzNB4WmnQe2mPH2DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false) has plans for a simple router table that can do both vert and horiz. routering
Starts on page 38. pics included