PDA

View Full Version : 6" Dust Port for G0453 15" Planer

Eric Kipker
11-22-2010, 1:03 PM
I have a quick one, I finally got around to running a 6" line to my garage for my planer. My unit came with a 4" dust port. I want to convert it to a 6" dust port. Did you do it in metal or wood? If metal, did you modify a HVAC boot or transition or build it from scratch or I guess modify the Grizzly dust port?

Peter Aeschliman
11-22-2010, 1:11 PM
I did this on my 13" Jet planer.

I just used an HVAC fitting... pretty easy to modify.

A little off topic, but if your planer is a straight-knife machine, don't be surprised if it becomes much much louder with the 6" port.

Here's a thread I started on the topic:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127123&page=2

Chip Lindley
11-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Here's a quick and dirty solution, while you are hunting for the perfect metal 6" to 4" reducer.

Cut out two MDF or plywood discs with jigsaw or bandsaw to fit nicely inside your 6" hose. Cut an internal hole in the discs for a nice friction fit over your 4" planer outlet. Glue the two discs together and attach the flex hose with a big hose clamp.

Jim O'Dell
11-25-2010, 7:23 PM
Doesn't help to run 6" to the unit if you choke it down to 4" at the tool. If that was the plan, run 4" instead and save a few bucks.
This is what I did to my G0691 table saw.168279 This is from the inside of the cabinet. I just cut the metal door out to as tight of a fit as possible, and used caulk to seal it off. The wood you see is the MDF slide of the blast gate attached to the pipe. This is from the outside showing the gate. 168280 Jim.