PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 18" Band saw Question

David Castor
11-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Hello all - I've been lurking here for a while trying to educate myself a little. I'm getting more serious about woodworking at the advanced age of 60.

Anyway, I've been looking at band saws and after reading a lot of previous threads and doing a little research, I narrowed my choices down to the Rikon 10-345 18" and the Grizzly G0513X2. Due to the lack of availability of the Grizzly (4 weeks out) and the current pricing, I'm leaning towards the Rikon.

But in the spec sheet I noted that Rikon lists 1/4" as the smallest blade size for the 18" saw, while Grizzly goes down to 1/8". The Rikon 14" also goes down to 1/8".

I don't know much about bandsaws, but my understanding is that using a narrower blade allows tighter curves to be cut.

So I'm wondering why this limitation (guide system?) and should this be a factor in my decision?

Thanks,

Dave

Lance Norris
11-22-2010, 1:45 PM
David, I dont have the Rikon, but a Griz G0457. Carter makes a Bandsaw Stabilizer for just about every bandsaw. It replaces the top guide. Its for 1/4"-1/8" blades. I use it with an 1/8" blade for bandsawn boxes and it works very well with the small blade. Its available for the Rikon 18"

http://www.carterproducts.com/resize_list.asp?path=\images\RIK2.jpg (http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=451&cat_id=14)

http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=451&cat_id=14

Steve Peterson
11-22-2010, 1:46 PM
The limitation to go below 1/4" is usually because of the guides. Most bandsaws have roller bearings where two bearings support the blade from the sides and another bearing is adjusted to support the back. The teeth need to stick out the front to prevent them from digging into the side bearings. An 1/8" blade does not have a lot to hold on to when the teeth need to stick out the front.

I believe that the usual sulution is to support the sides of 1/8" blades with "cool blocks" or solid pieces of hardwood. This allows the teeth to mold into the guides and form a perfectly shaped profile to support the side of the blade.

Steve

David Castor
11-22-2010, 4:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I suspected it was related to the guides, but wasn't really sure. Now I need to find another excuse to not pull the trigger on this...

Dave Lehnert
11-22-2010, 4:34 PM
I'm no expert on a bandsaw but watched a guy (Jeff Vollmer) make some amazing tight cuts with a 1/4 blade no problem. Watching him i would see no reason to use a 1/8" blade on a bandsaw.
He was making cuts much smaller than a dime.

Here is his book. You can see some of the cuts.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558708472/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1558708294&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SC5DJVM9F1R5H1SQ3G7

Scott Dodd
11-22-2010, 5:53 PM
Dave,
I got my Rikon 18" BS last week and so far I can't say anything bad about it. It was easy to set up, runs smooth and has plenty of power. It is very heavy but I got it moved in with the help of a friend. I also got the heavy duty mobile base from Grizzley and with a few modifications it works great.

Scott

John Coloccia
11-22-2010, 6:56 PM
My opinion is ball bearing guides on a 1/8" blade are practically useless. I've run a 1/8" blade on my G0514 saw, and while it works (and is within their spec), burying the blade in cool blocks or using the Carter Stabilizer are far superior. 3/16" is about the minimum I run now, and that's on the edge...but it works fine on my Grizz. I wouldn't allow the 1/8" spec to drive my bandsaw decision.

Grizzly and Rikon both make a fine bandsaw. Find some other criteria to make your decision.

Van Huskey
11-22-2010, 10:41 PM
My opinion is ball bearing guides on a 1/8" blade are practically useless. I've run a 1/8" blade on my G0514 saw, and while it works (and is within their spec), burying the blade in cool blocks or using the Carter Stabilizer are far superior. 3/16" is about the minimum I run now, and that's on the edge...but it works fine on my Grizz. I wouldn't allow the 1/8" spec to drive my bandsaw decision.

Grizzly and Rikon both make a fine bandsaw. Find some other criteria to make your decision.

+1 on everything you said. Bearing guides are pretty poor at hamdling sub 1/4" blades, the Carter stabilizer is really great in this size range.

David Castor
11-22-2010, 11:35 PM
OK guys - thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll have a few accessories to add to my shopping list - as usual.

Scott - just curious as to which Grizzly mobile base you got and what modifications it needed?

Scott Dodd
11-23-2010, 11:20 PM
OK guys - thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll have a few accessories to add to my shopping list - as usual.

Scott - just curious as to which Grizzly mobile base you got and what modifications it needed?

I got the G7314Z and I had to cut the width bars off about 1.5" to fit. The length bars weren't long enough (1/2" short) so I bolted them thru the base of the saw. The G7315 should fit without mods.

Scott