PDA

View Full Version : Tool Question's

Tim Thiebaut
11-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Howdy again everyone, still waiting on the delivery of my new lathe, in the mean time I have been gathering items I will need, some recommended by the good folks here, I was advised to check out the Penn State turning tools for a good starter set. Today I received an email from Rockler about their thanksgiving sale, they will have the Sorby 6 piece set on sale, normaly $300, now $150....so the question is, would you still spend a little less on the Penn State tools, or go for the Sorby tools with the %50 off deal? If the Penn tools are comparable in quality then buying them would be even more of a savings, but I am not familiar with either so I cant compare them, thanks for any input here.

Second question, some of the items I have planned to turn I really want a good quality knurling pattern on them, like on knobs and handles, has anyone here done any knurling in wood, and if so what tool did you use? Thanks for any and all help, T

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 1:15 PM
Tim, my response probably is not a fair response as I have never owned Sorby tools. But, from all I can determine, most of the HSS (M2) is indistinguishable - it seems to all be pretty much the same. Things do change considerably when you go into the CPM 10Vฎ (A-11) steel used by Thompson, or the PM line of Crown tools.

For my money, M2 HSS is just that, and it matters little from whence it comes, so long as it is consistently hardened properly. I would suspect, but do not know, that Sorby may have a little better consistency, but I have not been disappointed at all with the Harbor Freight tools, nor the Benjamin Best - for what they are - M2 HSS.

That said, I LOVE my Thompsons!!

Kyle Iwamoto
11-22-2010, 1:20 PM
There are a lot of people that say NOT to buy a set. There will be tools in there that you don't want and/or will never use. I'm in the group that thinks if the set is cheap enough, buy it. Normally, a set of 6 tools is WAY cheaper than buying 4 of the tools individually. 2 tools "free". The other tools can be reground, or used once in a while. A half off Sorby set is something to consider. If it has a bowl gouge, I'd get it.

Just my $0.02.

Prashun Patel
11-22-2010, 1:22 PM
Personally, if yr going to get a starter set, I think PSI is a good way to go. Rather than a 6 pc Sorby starter set, I'd rather get 1 or 2 great individual tools once I learned what it is I need most.

Brodie Brickey
11-22-2010, 1:24 PM
Tim,

Save your money for the chuck. A basic turning set can be acquired from Harbor Freight for about $40 USD. Then get yourself a bowl gouge and you will be set for most things to turn.

In regards to knurling, you might look at a chatter tool (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Robert_Sor by_Chatter_Tool___sorby_chatter?Args=) for the affect you're looking for...

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 1:30 PM
Just for clarification, I think the Sorby set is the Intermediate set, and this is the description -
This intermediate HSS turning set is designed for both spindle and bowl work. The set includes 3/8" bowl gouge, 1/2" round nose, 3/8" spindle gouge, 1/8" parting tool, 3/4" roughing gouge and 3/4" oval skew. These HSS tools will keep a sharpened edge about six times longer than carbon steel and resist "blued" softening from overheating during grinding or from heavy turning. Ash handles offer firm hand control during use and brass ferrules prevent wood splitting from tool pressure. Overall lengths 17" to 21".

The Benjamin Best set includes the following description -

These Benjamin's Best™ M2 HSS lathe chisels earned "Best Value" Honors in WOOD Magazine's October 2007 issue. In their Oct '07 "Get into Woodturning for under $600" article WOOD magazine said of these chisels, "The tools shown at right win in all three categories: selection, steel and length. The six M2-steel tools shown allow you to turn both spindles and bowls".
This set includes all 6 "Best Value" chisels reviewed by WOOD Magazine:
• 1/2" bowl gouge - 22" L Benjamin's Best: item LX220 HSS Bowl Gouges - Use the bowl gouge for faceplate work.
• 1" Roughing Gouge, 19" L - Benjamin's Best: item LX260 HSS Roughing Gouges - Used primarily for spindle turning, the roughing gouge aggressively takes square spindle stock down to round.
• 3/8" Spindle Gouge - 16"L Benjamin's Best: item LX320 HSS Spindle Gouges- Used for general purpose turning including twig pots,shallow boxes, pens and other small work.
• 1" Standard Skew - 18" L Benjamin's Best: item LX020 HSS Skew Chisels. Used for final finishing and smooth cuts.
• 1" Round Nose Scraper - 18" L Benjamin's Best: item LX120 HSS Round Nose Scrapers - Scrapers are a basic necessity for interior clean-up after the majority of your gouge work has been completed.
• 3/4" x 1/8" Parting Tool - 16"L Benjamin's Best: item LX420 HSS Parting Tools- This tool is used to part off waste, cut tenons, to establish a diameter or cut small flat areas.

The BB set includes a larger bowl gouge, a larger roughing gouge, and a larger scraper - same steel, and same handles. IMHO, this is really an example of paying for name recognition.

Scott Hackler
11-22-2010, 1:30 PM
Tim, I bought the Sorby set when I first started and I would advise to NOT buy that. I don't use half the tools included and the "bowl gouge" that came with mine was a thicker spindle gouge. ( which I broke while hollowing a bowl). I would suggest a Bengamins Best set or individuals until you find your real needs. After that I would suggest Doug Thompson's tools but keep in mind that you will need to make a handle or buy one separately. I received a couple of his tools in the contest winnings and I have been using the 3/8 detail gouge without a handle! (Haven't gotten to making handles for them yet!) His stuff holds a very sharp edge for long time.

Tim Thiebaut
11-22-2010, 2:49 PM
Again, thank you all for your input on this, I will check out the Harbor frieght set, and then decide between them and the BB set, thanks to all, T

Dana Florian
11-22-2010, 3:01 PM
Try these guys! THEY WERE THE FIRST TO MAKE INSERTABLE CARBIDE TURNING TOOLS!!!

I use them all the time on my 3520B and they are excellent!

http://www.newedgecuttingtools.com/new_edge_cutting_toolsweb2_007.htm

Tim Thiebaut
11-22-2010, 3:06 PM
Thank you for your post Dana, but at almost $100 per tool that is not even feasible for me, my post is about an inexpensive starter set, but thanks anyway.

I have checked out both sets, going with the BB set ordering it now, thanks again to everyone! T

Rob Holcomb
11-22-2010, 3:08 PM
I bought the Harborfreight set and then the Benjamin's Best set. Without a doubt, the BB set is much better.

Lee Koepke
11-22-2010, 4:28 PM
Tim,

I just got started too and bought the 8 piece BB set from Penn State
•3/16" Parting Tool
•5/8" Spear Scraper
•1" Skew Chisel
•5/8" Skew Chisel
•5/8" Round Nose Scraper
•1/2" Bowl Gouge
•3/4" Spindle Gouge
•7/8" Roughing Gouge

Its about $70, but they have a 10% discount going on that ends tomorrow (Tuesday Nov 23rd) for orders over $59.

It seems to have a good variety of tools to work with.

Prashun Patel
11-22-2010, 4:40 PM
Actually, PSI has a better deal if you can order more:

$15 off for orders > $100 (YSAVE15)
$30 off for orders > $150 (YSAVE30)