PDA

View Full Version : 20" 4 post planers questions

Mike Ashton
11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I upgraded my DW735 with a Shelix head about a year ago and although I've been very happy with it, I am ready to upgrade to a bigger machine. I've been watching CL lately and right now there are 4 different 20" machines for a wide range of prices. All look like the standard 4 post import model from Jet, Auto-Feed, and some other off brand I can't remember. Is there a big difference in quality between them? The prices range from $750-1000, with a woodmaster 725 listing at $2K (with all the extras).

Any opinions on which one would be better to go with? I just don't want to get stuck with an off brand if they really are different and can't get parts (blades). I am really happy with my shelix head and would eventually like to do the same to the new machine but am concerned I won't find one to fit.

The other option is picking up the woodmaster. The seller says it comes with the pro pack, but I really have no need for the routers and rip saw attachments. I've never done anything near production (hobby user) so I would probably try to sell the extras.

I know the spiral cutterheads help with noise, but are any of these machines noticeably quieter than the others? The Dewalt is deafening.

Thanks for the help!

Philip Rodriquez
11-22-2010, 12:24 PM
20" is a huge production machine and the cost of a SC would run you an additional $835. Additionally, you'll need a 30 amp line to run the 5 HP motor. From what I understand, people like the 20” machines because they can run entire table tops through them.

IMHO, Grizzly makes a great 15" machine, already equipped with a SC, and it sounds like it is in your price range. I own one and I highly recommend it.

Robert foster
11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Grizzly also makes a 20 inch planer with a spiral head. I have one and am very pleased with it.

Bob

Philip Rodriquez
11-22-2010, 3:06 PM
I forgot to mention that jumping to a 15" or 20" machine is a LOT quieter. The pure mass dampens the noise.

Chip Lindley
11-22-2010, 6:10 PM
I upgraded my DW735 with a Shelix head about a year ago...

I've been watching CL lately and right now there are 4 different 20" machines for a wide range of prices. All look like the standard 4 post import model from Jet, Auto-Feed, and some other off brand I can't remember. Is there a big difference in quality between them? The prices range from $750-1000...

Any opinions on which one would be better to go with? I just don't want to get stuck with an off brand if they really are different and can't get parts (blades). I am really happy with my shelix head and would eventually like to do the same to the new machine but am concerned I won't find one to fit...

I know the spiral cutterheads help with noise, but are any of these machines noticeably quieter than the others? The Dewalt is deafening...

Thanks for the help!

Mike, all 4-post 20" planers are very similar, if not basically identical beneath the paint. There is some difference in fit and finish from brand to brand, and some parts may change over a period of time, but basically all are the same.

Your choice between available 20"ers should be based on how "worn" the planer is in it's previous use. Some homeshop owners barely use theirs. But a planer from a commercial shop may be nearly worn out! A little surface rust is no problem, but other abuses such as cracked cast iron or broken/missing parts should make you wonder. The Jet planer would generally hold it's value more than the same generic Auto-Feed, etc. planer. But if the Jet has been used hard or abused, and the generic is pristine, your choice is clear.

Drive belts of these 15" and 20" machines are notorious for vibrating and rubbing in the guard cover, making a burnt rubber smell. A loud "slap" may be heard after the planer is turned off. But while running, the planer should have a solid, gear-driven "whirr" with no clanks, knocks or grinding. These noises may indicate new bearings are needed, or a problem in the gear drive train.

Many older 20" planers had only a 3hp motor. Newer models have 5hp 25a motors. Note that spiral heads require more power than a conventional head because the wood is being contacted 100% of the time instead of 3 or 4 times every revolution of the cutterhead.

Both Byrd and Grizzly websites show a cross-reference list of machines their spiral heads fit, which is virtually all.

The noise of your lunchbox DeWalt comes from the screaming universal "router" motor in it. Induction motors run at a much lower noise level. Planer cutterheads are the noise producers of larger planers. Spiral-type heads produce less noise when cutting than knife heads. When hooked up to a DC system, knife-heads become very noisy because of the increased air velocity over the knives; same principle as an air raid siren. Spiral head noise is considerably less.

Rick Fisher
11-23-2010, 3:05 AM
I have a 20" General International which appears to be no different than the Grizzly or Powermatic planer of the same size.

Mine has a helical cutterhead and is quiet .. The dust collection is the noisy part. I upgraded from a Makita 2012 and found the Makita was much louder.

My favorite usage for my planer is large glue-ups.. Being able to surface really wide panels is awesome. 5hp seems more than adequate. I have never had a power problem, planing 19" Eastern Maple or Oak.

Mike Ashton
11-23-2010, 11:04 AM
This really helps, thanks for the replies! The biggest reason I'm leaning to the 20" is because I don't want to upgrade again down the line. Right now I work in my 2 car garage but next summer we are moving back to MI and while building the house a shop will also be going up, so space won't be much of a concern.

I emailed and called about the Jet and the Auto-feed. Both machines are 3HP and have straight knives. The Woodmaster 725 is more than double each of these machines and the owner won't budge from $2K. None of them look abused, so if the guy with the Jet gets back to me I think I will go with that one.

Thanks again!

Greg Portland
11-23-2010, 3:48 PM
The woodmaster is also a drum sander, rip saw & moulder + it has excellent feed options. That accounts for the price difference. $2k for the 25" machine is a great deal if you plan on using all the capabilities of the machine. If all you need is a planer then get a planer. Most people working out of smaller shops like the ability to combine multiple tools into 1 footprint.