PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle

David Reed
11-22-2010, 10:25 AM
I have been gone for several months but back in the turning saddle for the past couple months now and thought I would post a couple of my projects. Unfortunately I have given a few away before I photographed them.
This one is made of BLM burl (of which I still have an abundance) and ebonized rock maple. I really forgot the pleasures of turning straight grain maple as I have spent most of my time recently with the burl. Cuts like warm butter. Anyway, the vase is 12 1/2" tall and the bowl 4" diameter, about 3/32" thick and finished with several coats of WOP. The stem is ebonized with India Ink. It is in need of a few more coats of WOP and a good buffing. I have not used the buffing compounds before so am worried about the compound clogging up the small recessed inherent in the burl. Maybe I will stick with sandpaper to 600 and stop there. Any thoughts.
I also never really know what to do with the inside of these forms. Too tight to sand so I generally leave it raw.
Hope to get a few more half finished projects completed soon.
Thanks for any comments/critiques

David

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2010, 10:31 AM
That is a nice piece and some great looking burl. If it were me I would not buff the burl for sure. I think you would the compound and some wheel cotton would fill the voids and be extremely hard to clean. Glad to see ya back turning.

Greg Ketell
11-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Gorgeous piece. Glad you got back to turning!!

Dennis Ford
11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Very nice work. I agree that buffing would lead to problems.

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Very nice piece, David! And, if you have too much of the BLM burl, let me know!:D One of my favorites.

While I tend to agree on the buffing compound, I think I would be tempted to try it anyway with a fairly clean wheel - not much compound added. Maybe do a small area to see what you get. You can always use a toothbrush and some MS to clean it out of the recesses if it happens. The big issue with buffing this piece is making sure one of the large voids doesn't grab and yank the thing out of your hand. I would turn down the speed for sure.

Thom Sturgill
11-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice piece. buff the stem, but stay away from the burl. I'd not be worried bout cleaning out the cotton, a toothbrush works fine. Rather I'd worry about the cotton pulling out the 'teeth' in that smile on the side.

Jeff Luedloff
11-22-2010, 7:47 PM
Beautiful piece of work..

Cathy Schaewe
11-22-2010, 10:33 PM
That is really, really nice - I love the base. It's not too skinny so that it looks like it will blow over, but not too thick either. And the burl is beautiful.

David E Keller
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Beatiful burl and a nice looking form.

I'd probably skip the buffing, but I don't often buff my turnings.

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 1:58 PM
Nice work David!

I would not buff the burl - not worth taking the chance. Sand it down by hand to a really high grit - then you can hand rub it out with a piece of brown paper grocery bag.

Looking forward to seeing some more of your work real soon!

David Reed
11-25-2010, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the input. We experienced a bit of a breeze the other day and have been frozen and without power or internet for a few days now. My electric needs were met with my generator but not internet. I was able to do a bit of work in the shop while awaiting the thaw.
I sanded up to 600 and added a few coats of WOP and the bowl looks and feels nicer now.
Thanks again
David