PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Laminate

Carroll Courtney
11-22-2010, 9:58 AM
If you were doing a table top which would you do first,the edges or the top and why?I have a small table top w/1 1/2 edge and was planning on doing the top first w/1/2 overhang then install the edging up against the overhang.Someplace I seen they had done the edge first then the top and was wondering why---Carroll

Matt McGraw
11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Either way you're going to see the ~1/16" thick brown edge of the laminate. if you do the edge first then the top it's usually less noticable than if you do the top first. Personal preference really.

jmike montgomery
11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd vote for edges first - that way your top will extend all the way to the edge, and it'll look neater. I don't think having the joint on the side is as noticeable as if it were on top. As an added bonus (for me, at least), doing the sides first gave me some practice using my trim router and getting used to things before doing the top which really needs to be near perfect to look good.

Steve Jenkins
11-22-2010, 10:56 AM
It is much easier to do the edge first then trim it and do the top. If you try to butt the edge against an overhanging top piece it is problematic at best to get it really tight to the top since contact cement will really grab at first contact. When I do the edge then trim I hit the top with a belt sander to make sure the laminate is deadflush with the top. If you do this, make sure the sanding direction is from the edge to the middle

Jeff Duncan
11-22-2010, 2:26 PM
Standard practice is edges first then top. Now you can always change things to suit your type of work but if it's a top that'll see a lot of use I wouldn't.
One reason is things dragged across the top could get snagged by an edge that's flush. Another reason is if liquids are spilled they would be more likely to seep in between the laminate and sub if the edge was flush. Lastly it just looks better. These are just what comes to mind, there could be other reasons also?

good luck,
JeffD

Chip Lindley
11-23-2010, 3:07 PM
Jeff nailed it as to why edges should be done first. If dark seams are unsightly to you, check out Formica ColorCore laminate. The surface color goes all the way through.

Jay Allen
11-23-2010, 6:14 PM
It is much easier to do the edge first then trim it and do the top. If you try to butt the edge against an overhanging top piece it is problematic at best to get it really tight to the top since contact cement will really grab at first contact. When I do the edge then trim I hit the top with a belt sander to make sure the laminate is deadflush with the top. If you do this, make sure the sanding direction is from the edge to the middle

Zzzzactly, Steve saved me the typing.