PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump up and running!

Ken Hill
11-22-2010, 9:56 AM
I recieved in my new Vacuum chuck and turned it loose on this piece of cherry so I could finish the tenon area. It took 5 minutes to set up, and 5 minutes for me to get the bowl centered (my new tailstock piece is on its way)

I can max out the gauge on teh unit if I wanted, I have a rather large compressor, but set the psi to 70 and held 23 to turn off the tenon and sand the bottom.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR2997/1100551917_c9QJn-L.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR2998/1100551990_e48mt-L.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR3000/1100552076_8yCCr-L.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Great looking bowl Ken. I like the bark on the rim. Makes it look rustic. Looks like the vacuum pump did the trick for sure.

Alan Zenreich
11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Fun playing with new toys, eh?

Having a vacuum chuck gives you many options for workholding that are easier to implement than dedicated rigs (like jam, donut and other chucking devices).

bob svoboda
11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I like the bowl a lot. You are going to like the vacuum chuck a lot.

David Reed
11-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Very nice bottom you've got there (hope I make it past the censures). What vacuum setup did you get. I am thinking along the same lines, after I finish my steady.

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Congrats, Ken!!! Nice work, and I knew you would love this new toy.;) Makes all the difference in the world, and getting that threaded tailstock adapter will make it even sweeter!

Ken Hill
11-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Very nice bottom you've got there (hope I make it past the censures). What vacuum setup did you get. I am thinking along the same lines, after I finish my steady.

I went with the Hold Fast set up.

I ordered my nicole rest today.....

Watched avideo last night on the Monster set up:o

Tony De Masi
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Real nice looking bowl Ken and some beautiful wood too.

Well done.

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 1:17 PM
Stick a fork in him - he is done!!!!:D:D:D
I went with the Hold Fast set up.

I ordered my nicole rest today.....

Watched avideo last night on the Monster set up:o

Ken Hill
11-22-2010, 1:36 PM
Im not going down with out a fight! Im a floater!:eek::D

Watching a video does not mean price checking, and reading threads about it, and checking cost of replacement cutters....and about sharpening them.....and.....and.....:cool:

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 1:40 PM
Ken, I have one cautionary comment - DO NOT, under any circumstances, permit yourself to use someone's Monster hollowing rig - even for just a couple of minutes. In the weak state you are in, I would not want you to experience the finger tip pressure needed to effortlessly guide the hollowing bar! I really do not think your fragile condition would be well served!:rolleyes:

Scott Hackler
11-22-2010, 2:05 PM
lalalalalala ...not listening to this Monster Hollowing rig talk.....

Hollowing is supposed to be ROUGH and somewhat scarey and frustrating at times.. isnt it? At least thats what I feel like, doing it the old fashion way!

hmmm maybe I need to watch the video again....

Ken, how about some pictures of this vacuum set up.

Ken Hill
11-22-2010, 2:25 PM
Scott, I will get you afew pics when I set it up after I come back from teh treestand.

(Purposley ignoring Keeton):D

Roger Chandler
11-22-2010, 3:16 PM
yep, for sure stick a fork in him, he is well done, charred around the edges, and has become lost in the swirl of the vortex................he may never come out! :eek:;);):D

David E Keller
11-22-2010, 4:40 PM

Hollowing is supposed to be ROUGH and somewhat scarey and frustrating at times.. isnt it? At least thats what I feel like, doing it the old fashion way!

You're right, Scott. There is something pure about hand hollowing... If you ever get the urge to do that, you just put the monster bars in the monster handle. It will only take a few passes with the tool to realize that hand hollowing is not as romantic as you remember it. At that point, you put the bar back in the articulated hollower and go back to effortless hollowing.:D

Randy's number is...

Baxter Smith
11-22-2010, 7:33 PM
That is a nice looking bowl. Congrats on the vacuum system. It does come in handy.

[QUOTE=Scott Hackler;1564731]lalalalalala ...not listening to this Monster Hollowing rig talk.....

QUOTE]
Ditto on that Scott! I think there is a benefit to learning how to do it handheld first. At least that is what I keep telling myself!:)

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 8:00 PM
I think there is a benefit to learning how to do it handheld first.Been there, did that, bought the Monster!!!;)

Cathy Schaewe
11-22-2010, 10:36 PM

Man, this is like crack. I have my fingers in my ears, and am saying 'la la la la' too.

I can't hear you ..... sort of!:o

Ken Hill
11-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Just put Keeton on your ignore list!!! He is the root of all evil in the Vortex!:eek::D

Jim Burr
11-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Been there, did that, bought the Monster!!!;)

Been there, done that...did what John did;) Oh yeah...great bowl Ken!!! Nice and beefy!

Baxter Smith
11-23-2010, 7:35 AM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1565006]Been there, did that, bought the Monster!!!;)[/QUOTE
And I suppose you feel the same way about handcutting dovetails?;)
Did a few last week on a pullout box for an old trunk my wife is redoing and they were kind of relaxing.:) I just haven't learned to do it properly yet on the hollowing. ;)

John Keeton
11-23-2010, 7:41 AM
Dovetail????? What is that?????? Wait....the memory is faint....ahhh, yes, I recall now. Something to do with flatwork.....