PDA

View Full Version : First Real Hollow Form - Box Elder & Walnut

steven carter
11-22-2010, 8:51 AM
This is my first attempt at a real hollow form. It is made from box elder with a walnut collar and finial. Final dimensions are 8 7/8" tall from the bottom to the tip of the finial, 4 1/2" wide at the widest part, and the finial itself is 2 7/8" tall. Hollowed to about 3/16" on the sides and thicker at the bottom for some stability. I hollowed this by hand with the Nicol hollowing bit to start and a sorby rs2000. I maxed out the depth I can hollow with the sorby tool as it was fully engaged at the bottom. Finished with a coat of home brew oil and then a couple coats of WOP. Beall buffed and ren wax.

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques welcome.

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 9:17 AM
Extremely well done!! Love the wood combination, too. There are some minor tweaks that may be appropriate, but for a first this is phenomenal! I like what you did with the lid and the double ended finial - very nice touch.

Steve, you have found yourself! Give up the bowls, and come on over to the hollow side!

David E Keller
11-22-2010, 9:23 AM
Beautiful wood. I think the collar and lid are nicely done as well. It seems like the curve has a few flattish areas on the main form, but that's hard to judge from photos sometimes. All in all, it's very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
That is a good looking HF Steven. I like the wood combo.

Allen stagg
11-22-2010, 10:25 AM
I love it. It is not only good for a first, but it is good for a novice too, IMO. It does appear to have slight flat spots, however, I don't think that is always such a bad thing. Good job and to put contrasting wood collars for a first hollow vessel, that is fantastic.

Alan Trout
11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Overall excellent first vessel. I agree the the main curve on the form is not consistent. I heard Mike Jackofsky say one time was his biggest problem was trying to make the wood fit the form rather than make form to fit the wood. This is paraphrased of course, but the intention with the comment is that to often we try to get the biggest piece possible out of the piece of wood rather than making the best shape possible with the wood you have.

Great first!!

Alan

Dennis Ford
11-22-2010, 10:54 AM
WOW!
Bet that you can't do just one!

charlie knighton
11-22-2010, 11:41 AM
keep up the good work

Roger Chandler
11-22-2010, 12:12 PM
HOOO RAAAYYY!

That is nice indeed, especially for a first. Excellent construction on the lid and collar. I like your finial. The continuous curve on a form is not always easy, but it is something now that you will be more aware of as you have had some critique on this one.

For a first, this is exceptional.........much better than my first.......I hope my next one turns out this well ;)

watch out, that "hollow side" is the dark side, and if you stay over there all the time, then you might not ever come back :eek::eek:;):D

Tim Thiebaut
11-22-2010, 12:57 PM
This is incredibly beautiful, I love the contrasting woods.

Bill Bolen
11-22-2010, 6:09 PM
What a fine job you did....especially for a first! Love the mouth treatment. You are well on your way to a great addiction...Bill..

David DeCristoforo
11-22-2010, 6:17 PM
Not bad. Not bad at all. You certainly did not take the easy path here with the collar, lid and finial. That's going pretty deep for a first attempt. That box elder is sure some pretty wood. Every time someone posts a picture of something made from it, I end up thinking I gotta get me some of that box elder somewhere.

Roland Martin
11-22-2010, 6:41 PM
Very nice combination of wood and awesome HF! The collar, lid & finial are also great. Nice work Steve.

Baxter Smith
11-22-2010, 7:18 PM
Great job on your first! It all looks good!

Jim Burr
11-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Great first effort Steven. Box Elder has never been one of my favorites for HF's...have no idea why. Nice job with the shape, for some reason, I'd like to see a slimmer top, don't know, just seems like it may fit better? Lid and finial are really cool!