PDA

View Full Version : 2nd HF

Kathy Marshall
11-22-2010, 1:05 AM
This is my 2nd HF (1st using hollowing tools), just has a couple coat of DO and will be topping that off with WOP.
I'm going to have to turn a new finial. When I finished this one I set it on the HF to check fit and it was fine (loose) very little contact with the sides of the mouth. So I left it on there while waiting for the DO to dry. Went to remove it to add another coat and it was stuck solid, I mean it was really stuck lol (I think the opening may have warped a tiny bit). I had to use a set of vise grips to get it loose and even tho I wrapped it with foam it still left teeth marks on the bottom ball and left a few chips on the collar from trying to pry it up.
HF (sissoo) is 6" x 4", base is 2" opening is 1 1/4", finial (walnut) is 4 1/2".

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 6:59 AM
Kathy, I think the form on this piece is very well done! The wood has some nice figure, as well. On the finial, for my tastes, I would prefer one that is shorter - perhaps about where the first set of embellishments is, and have only one bead/embellishment at the tip. I think it would help to lighten up the base of the finial a little, as well.

I am really impressed with this piece - just very nice!

David E Keller
11-22-2010, 7:54 AM
I love the main form on this one... The shape is very appealing.

The finial is a bit visually heavy for me, so I agree with John's suggestion to shorten it on the remake. I do like the 'double detail' on the current finial.

Phenomenal job!

Dave Carey
11-22-2010, 7:56 AM
Kathy,
Nice form and interesting wood. Thanks for sharing this.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-22-2010, 8:43 AM
Very nice work Kathy. I like the form and finial. Do you mind sharing what type of wood that is? I really like seeing your projects.:)

Cathy Schaewe
11-22-2010, 8:56 AM
Kathy - it looks great!

Nathan Hawkes
11-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Very nice work. So this is rosewood?! I saw your previous posts about the Dalbergia sissoo--bummer on how little heartwood it has, but this is a pretty piece of wood regardless!

I'm very skeptical about this being your 2nd HF!!;) I have to agree with the others on the height of the finial, but who am I to judge?! Not much of a spindle turner myself; still learning to use spindle gouges, though I love the skew.

I look forward to seeing your future work, Kathy!

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Kathy that is a extremely nice HF for your second. Wood and form look great. I have to agree with the others and for my taste the finial would be shorter. I wouldn't make it much longer than where the middle embellishment is. Keep'em coming Kathy.

Justin Stephen
11-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Kathy,
Nice form and interesting wood. Thanks for sharing this.

Agreed. The curvature on the HF, to my eyes, is excellent. A nice, flowing curve.

Dennis Ford
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
It has already been said; the form is excellent. The finial design is not to my taste but it is well executed.
Good work!

charlie knighton
11-22-2010, 11:45 AM
learning i see, it would have been better to put the knot where the vace opening is instead of to one side, might have lessoned the cracking

nice form

Bill Bolen
11-22-2010, 6:12 PM
I agree with the above comments but am still taken with it. Great form! Looking for a bunch more from you now...Bill..

David DeCristoforo
11-22-2010, 6:19 PM
I would not lose any sleep over the finial. This is such a nice form just by itself that I wonder if "someone" was trying to tell you "something". It would be a fine "standalone".

Roland Martin
11-22-2010, 6:30 PM
Very well done HF. The shape is great and have to agree with David "standalone" is fine.

Baxter Smith
11-22-2010, 7:19 PM
Very pretty piece, with or without the finial.

Michael James
11-22-2010, 7:30 PM
Nice work Kathy! You seem to be taking to the lathe like a duck to water!
Keep at it, cuz I dont think you've even hit your stride yet... and when you do.... look out turning world!:cool:
mj

Jeff Nicol
11-22-2010, 7:37 PM
Kathy, I have to agree with the masses on the form of this HF, and since it is only your second attempt, I would say you are on your way! Everyone asks about the wood, it looks like Catalpa to me, but only you can clear it up for us! Finials are always changeble and replaceable, so make a couple out of some scrap and see if you can get the design to what is in your eye the best, and even then you may change your mind at a later date.

Great job,

Jeff

Kathy Marshall
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Very nice work Kathy. I like the form and finial. Do you mind sharing what type of wood that is? I really like seeing your projects.:)
The wood is dalbergia sisso (indian rosewood). Although the wood I got didn't have any heartwood (or the heartwood never colored up) I find that I really like the wood and can't wait till I can find more (hopefully with colored heartwood). It turns and finishes great and the cracking and warping is minimal. This piece was turned from green (spat water at me while roughing) wood, roughed out about 80% and soaked in DNA for about 48 hours then bagged in plastic with some shavings for about 10 days.

Kathy Marshall
11-23-2010, 12:03 AM
learning i see, it would have been better to put the knot where the vace opening is instead of to one side, might have lessoned the cracking

nice form
Charlie, the main pith runs right through the center, the knot is actually the pith from a side branch, not much I could do with that unless I had made the form much shorter.

Kathy Marshall
11-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks everyone!
I really worked hard on this one to get a nice continuou curve and no flat spots. I probably could have turned the cracks out but before I applied the DO they were almost invisible (wood was white, sanding dust was white, cracks were white), the DO added some color and really made the cracks pop. If I had tried to turn them out then I risked messing up the shape, the good old "just one more cut" and the cracks don't really bother me.
Thanks for all the suggestions for the finial. I think I will try a shorter one and then I'll be able to turn it much finer. Since I need more finial practice anyway, any thoughts on other woods to try for the finial? I thought the darker wood would bring out the little color the piece does have and that lighter might make it looked washed out. I think cherry might be another option to try, and as Jeff posted
Finials are always changeble and replaceable so I might just do a few with different woods.

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 1:45 PM
Very nice work Kathy! Love the form!

Looking forward to seeing HF#3! Have fun!

Don Alexander
11-23-2010, 9:40 PM
the cracks add character and make it more interesting IMO nice looking piece :)

Richard Madden
11-23-2010, 10:28 PM
If you are going to turn some more finials, try all kinds of wood. I've tried walnut, cherry, blackwood, ebony, holly, osage orange, maple, olive, tulipwood, several rosewoods, and probably a few others I can't think of right now. Experiment and have fun.