PDA

View Full Version : Etching photos on glass

Ross Lowry
11-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Hey everyone,

I was asked to etch some glass Christmas ornaments with someones picture.
Normally I dont etch photos on glass. I re-sized the photo down to 1.3" and scanned it in at 200 dpi. I ran the picture through photograv and gave it a run. It didn't turn out to bad, but a bit washed out looking. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips for etching photos?
Thanks for any tips!

Zsolt Paul
11-22-2010, 2:13 AM
Try wiping some dishwashing liquid on the glass prior to etching. This makes the "chipping" a bit more controlled. If you have brightness settings on the machine itself (not in the software), bring it to 100%. If its washed out, you may need to reduce power or resolution.

Frank Corker
11-22-2010, 8:11 AM
Make sure it's a negative!

Ross Lowry
11-22-2010, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the tips.

Larry Bratton
11-22-2010, 1:10 PM
Thanks for the tips.
Also, if you engrave it on the front of the glass, you can paint the back of the glass black to add the contrast.

Martin Boekers
11-22-2010, 1:38 PM
Also, if you engrave it on the front of the glass, you can paint the back of the glass black to add the contrast.

JDS sells a black mirror that engraves well, I sell quite a few of them.
But I do like the idea about back painting glass.

Thanks!

Ross Lowry
11-22-2010, 5:37 PM
I might have to try that painting tip would definitely make the picture pop.

Ross Lowry
11-23-2010, 12:41 AM
My best results have been a power of 50 and speed 30 with the photo ran through Photograv at 200 dpi. My machine is an Epilog mini 45 watt. Just thought I would share. Thanks to all that posted.

Alan Young
11-25-2010, 1:55 PM
Try this. Take two pieces of glass and paint one black and one white. I use thin glass 1/16th inch, avalable at stained glass shops. Engrave your photo reversed on the black glass. This way when you look throught the glass you see the correct image. Put the white glass up against the black glass and you now have a black amd white photo. The paint will be between the glass and will be protected. Frame in a picture frame. Or if you are into stianed glass you can copper foil the glass edeges and hang. These make great orniments for a tree

Alan