PDA

View Full Version : Burned Hollow Form

Cody Colston
11-21-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't post a lot here but I read this forum almost every day. This is where I got the idea for using a propane torch to char the bottom of a Bois d' Arc HF I turned. Thanks Aaron Wingert for the technique as shown on your duck calls.

The vessel itself is 5" x 2 1/2' and the total height of the piece is 11". I used ebonized walnut for the pedestal and finial but I may turn those out of Bois d' Arc and char them, too. The reddish-brown on top of the vessel is the natural color of the wood near the pith.

Finish is one coat of Zinsser shellac followed by three coats of Minwax gloss spray lacquer.

Thanks for looking.

Roger Chandler
11-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Cody,

That is a real nice HF. I like the creativity on the torching. Your pedestal is unique and is good as well. Your finial is a nice match-up. Nice to see you post some work, you should do it more often! ;)

Thanks for sharing with us.

David E Keller
11-21-2010, 10:29 PM
That's cool. I like the effect of the torch, and I think the coloring of the current finial/pedestal is great.

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Cody that is really cool. The second pic's to me looks kinda like a scorpion.

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Cody - you been holding out on us! Glad you were able to find some time to turn! Very nice HF and I really like the effect of the burning - makes the natural color really pop!

Curt Fuller
11-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Really nice Cody. I was also inspired by Aaron's torch work on the Bodark and you've done a nice job on it.

Ken Hill
11-22-2010, 4:55 AM
Very nice!

John Keeton
11-22-2010, 6:51 AM
Cody, we can't allow accomplished flatworkers like you (particularly rocking chair experts!!) to come over here parttime!!!;):D It is all or nothing! You must dive in the vortex, and abandon your former life.

Nice work! Once that osage mellows out, it will lose some contrast, but the combination of colors will become even more attractive in my opinion.

Cody Colston
11-22-2010, 8:33 AM
I appreciate all the kind comments, especially coming from the group here, which is probably the most accomplished on the net. Thanks, guys.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-22-2010, 8:39 AM
Cody, very nice work and combination of ideas and wood. How about showing more of your stuff? Thanks for sharing.:)

steven carter
11-22-2010, 8:55 AM
Cody,

You picked the perfect pice of wood for the burning technique, the bottom really goes well with the natural color of the wood on top. Great job!

Steve

Baxter Smith
11-22-2010, 7:37 PM
That is a very neat effect and goes well with the colors you have chosen!