PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly deals hand tools?

Bobby O'Neal
11-21-2010, 9:55 PM
I could be a little slow but I just realized tonight that Grizzly has a hand tool section on their site. So this begs the question, is any of it quality? The power tools from Grizzly have really become widley supported but I don't know anything about the hand tools they are selling. Planes, squares, saws. Any good?

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
11-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Their japanese bench chisel set was rated a Best Buy by FWW about a year ago, and people seem to rave about them.

I think for most of the other "hand" tools, they are merely a retailer for other makers . . . could be wrong, but that's what it seems by perusing their catalog.

Don Dorn
11-21-2010, 10:26 PM
A few years ago, my wife bought me the Griz equivelent to a #5. Based on it's casting, it is identical to the Record. I was pleasantly surprised to find the sole flat and the frog needed very little work. After putting a Hock blade and chip breaker in it, it performes nearly as well as one of my LNs. I would have never gussed and assumed it must be a Wednesday plane but it works great.

I then was searching for a Record 778 and couldn't find one - and discovered Griz sold a 778 style plane. I bought one and in comparing to my friends Record 778, the castings are absolutely identical including little bumps and holes where it isn't even necessary. It even says 778 on it. Parts are actually interchangable (at least the depth stop is) The blade is a little thin, but it sharpened well and stayed that way far longer than I would have thought. I also put a hardwood fence on it and lapped it so that it was completely square to the sole. It works perfectly - but now I have since found a Record 778 so I'll probably peddle the Griz - but am a little reluctant to do it because it works so well.

I'm not afraid of Griz planes - they are Record copies and it doesn't take too much at all to get them in top performing condition.

Logan William
11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I never would've thought about Grizzly for hand tools, I guess I'm just a bit leary as I'm often not that impressed with their power tools but many love them. I'm currently debating between getting some old stanley's and fettling them vs a couple WoodRiver planes to help fill out my stable. I'd love a LV but just can't justify it right now, if the Grizzlies are respectable I might have to get one and give it a shot.

David Weaver
11-22-2010, 2:00 PM
The gouges from japan are fine, too, and they are inexpensive. They did need their bevels reset as they were a bit steep. Not a big problem. They are not going to solve all of your gouge needs, but they are something to use and something that works as expected.

They are not finished to the level of pfeil gouges, but there are single gouges more expensive than the entire set, and they are made in japan. With what little experience I have and based on what I've been able to do to damage the edges, I'd say they are probably similar in quality to reform grade chisels (like the ones they sell), meaning they are not as good as high dollar japanese chisels, but they very good compared to what we're used to for reform grade.

I'm not sure I know of any other good moderately priced carving tools.

Without knowing who the planes are made by, and after seeing some groz planes and using some planes of that type when I very first started, I'd stick to vintage or premium planes. There are always exceptions, but it costs a lot to ship planes vs. what they cost, so even returns can be a pain.