PDA

View Full Version : Lift Table Uses

Rod Stone
12-30-2004, 6:56 AM
Anybody have one of those hydraulic lift tables such as HF that will lift 300-1000 lbs.? Are they very useful in the shop?:confused:

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 9:30 AM
There was an article in one of the magazines awhile back that showed a fellow using one of the larger x-style lift tables for the base of his assembly table. I had thought about doing a similar thing before I bought my Adjust-A-Bench after considering shop space, etc.

Ken Garlock
12-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Hello Rod, and welcome to the creek. Wade in and enjoy the company. :)

A couple years ago I bought a heavy duty lift table from Northern Tools. I tend to operate on the theory "never use a 1x1 if a 4x4 will fit" ;) , so I bought one with a max limit of 1000 kg, or 2200 lbs. It was the only one I could find with what I considered to be a wide enough table top - 24". The only problem is the penalty of weight, that thing weighs over 300#. My use for it is to move stationary tools from my assembly area(rear garage) to the shop. I also use it for a paint table from time to time.

So to answer your question, yes they are handy when you need them. But, my lift will set idle for several months at a time. Jim has a good idea to check out the project assembly table. If you get one, I would opt for the higher load capacity, and be sure to get one that has at least two locking casters - they are more than just handy, you will need them.

Happy New Year. :)

Ray Dockrey
12-30-2004, 1:50 PM
I think I read a thread on here that Keith Outten had one and had his mini lathe mounted on it. This way when he wasn't using the lathe he could lower it down and slide it under the wing of his tablesaw. I am almost positive it was Keith talking about it.

Jim DeLaney
12-30-2004, 5:51 PM
Yeah, I've got one - one of the heavier Harbor Freight ones. It's great for moving heavy items from floor to bench, or truck to shop. Mine doesn't get used all that often, but it's really handy when it's needed.

Steve Stube
12-30-2004, 7:13 PM
Welcome Rod!

Yes, I have a number of the hydraulic lift tables and platforms. Admittedly they are used much more in my machine, welding, fabrication shop but I have used them in the wood shop for projects; assembly (as has been mentioned), outfeed extension for table saw, planner etc. and project wood stack caddies. I find them extremely handy for placing things at a comfortable height to work - saves the back.