PDA

View Full Version : The need for a second overhead door?

Charlie MacGregor
11-21-2010, 8:48 PM
Hi,
I'm getting ready to install doors and windows in a 28 x 36 shop, and have been thinking I don't really need a second OH door (10x8), but would much rather frame in for a large window for the addional light. Anyone have any thoughts or regrets either way? It's the leftmost (center)OH door that I'm thinking of replacing. Thanks for any insight or personal experience.

Jim Junor
11-21-2010, 9:32 PM
I'd frame the window opening within the existing door opening. Then, if you change your mind, all you'll have to do is cut back to the door opening and install the door. All you'll be out is the price of a window, framing materials, and siding.

Having the option of a door should help with resale.

Von Bickley
11-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I know that a lot of people like a lot of doors and windows, but everywhere you have a door or window is less wall space for cabinets, storage, benches, etc.
I would rather have the wall space.....:)

Charlie MacGregor
11-21-2010, 10:24 PM
That's what I'm thinking. It looks like it will cost a little more for the block course, framing, and window but I like the thought of the additional light and wall/floor space. I guess I had residual "garage" notions when I had it framed.

Thanks for the replies to the rather subjective question.

Rick Moyer
11-22-2010, 5:30 AM
Staying there forever? Then do it however you want.
But if you might move you may want to consider re-sale options as most buyers would rather have the two doors, I suspect. Of course you could always change it back if you had to.

Bill LaPointe
11-22-2010, 6:44 AM
I know that a lot of people like a lot of doors and windows, but everywhere you have a door or window is less wall space for cabinets, storage, benches, etc.
I would rather have the wall space.....:)

+1 on this. You can buy light, but wall space is hard to come by.

Bob Winkler
11-22-2010, 8:09 AM
I built and framed my workshop for 2 doors. I thought about resale and about symmetry from the outside.

This weekend I removed the overhead metal track on one of the doors, so now only 1 door is operable. The fixed door can be sealed much better. The track will be saved and can easily be reinstalled by the next owners when I die.

I'm glad I did it because now I have a nice wood storage wall to use.

Bob

Gordon Eyre
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Smart IMHO.

keith denbesten
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
How about doors with a row of windows on the top panel for both doors. You can always build a wall inside the door on the left for storage. There and done should you move or want to reconfigure to use for a garage later.

Charlie MacGregor
11-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Good Thoughts...Thanks

Matt Meiser
11-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm with the posters who said leave the opening as is, snap some photos, then frame out the inside and insulate and install windows. Be sure to do any electrical in that wall in such a way you can easily disconnect it without major surgery.

Scott T Smith
11-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm with the posters who said leave the opening as is, snap some photos, then frame out the inside and insulate and install windows. Be sure to do any electrical in that wall in such a way you can easily disconnect it without major surgery.

+2, this is a very good idea. I don't care for working adjacent to a garage door, because most of them leak air and they are not attractive.

I have several windows inside my shop and I'm glad that I do (as opposed to my previous shop that had none). It's especially nice on a weekend day when you can look outside while you work.

Jim Finn
11-22-2010, 7:15 PM
I think I would install an insulated roll up door with windows in it and put free standing shelves etc. in front of the door so it is used by you as wall space and, if in the future ,the door is ever to be used just move the shelving.

Rick Moyer
11-22-2010, 7:50 PM
I built and framed my workshop for 2 doors. I thought about resale and about symmetry from the outside.

This weekend I removed the overhead metal track on one of the doors, so now only 1 door is operable. The fixed door can be sealed much better. The track will be saved and can easily be reinstalled by the next owners when I die.

I'm glad I did it because now I have a nice wood storage wall to use.

Bob
Seems like the best approach. That way the doors would match if you ever did sell or something. If you only put one in now maybe 20 years down the road you or someone else couldn't match it.

John Coloccia
11-22-2010, 8:08 PM
Personally, I question the need for even 1 overhead door unless it's still being used for a garage. I took my 2 car garage, knocked out both doors, tore down all the drywall, filled the holes left by the doors, added a double out swing door, insulated and reinstalled drywall. I added a window and an air conditioner while I was at it (and heat, too). I now have a nice, tight workshop that doesn't at all feel like a garage. Since all the headers for the doors are still there, I could easily and at minimal expense cut through the drywall, knock down the walls, install some tracks and have garage doors again if I ever sold the place and really needed a garage there. I'd just hire a crew to come out and do it. I figure I'll worry about it when I sell the place. For the few thousand bucks it's going to cost me to pay someone to do it, I have a fully functional, tight, workshop year round for however many years I live here. I've now had the shop for almost 3 years. That's small potatoes amortized over 3 years, and practically nothing if I'm here 5 or 10 years.

I'm very much a fan of buying a house to live in and trading resale value against quality of life, as opposed to thinking of it as an investment. Gold's doing well these days. I don't recommend gilding your shop in gold. :D

Bob Winkler
11-23-2010, 7:34 AM
Something to possibly consider for some towns-

In my town, having my detached building looking like and called a "garage" made it fairly easy to get permits for the structure and electrical. If I had built it without overhead doors and called it a workshop, there would have been additional scrutiny regarding commercial use and/or use as an apartment/living space.

Not saying it's right, just bringing it up.

Bob

Bob Riefer
11-23-2010, 8:16 AM
John C wrote

I'm very much a fan of buying a house to live in and trading resale value against quality of life, as opposed to thinking of it as an investment.

I'm with John on this one. I say, build the shop how you want to use it, leaving yourself a reasonable path back to "conventional" along the way.

Josiah Bartlett
11-23-2010, 3:59 PM
If you live someplace where it gets warm in the summer or are going to want a lot of ventilation, keep the door. If you need more wall space, build a bigger shop.

I have 4' fluorescent fixtures at chest level around my shop for when I need more light. It is more reliable than daylight and cheaper than windows.

Scott Tiewski
11-23-2010, 4:20 PM
I just finished a 30x40 shop and have one OH door and one man door. The extra wall space is more important to me that having another door. The house already has a three car garage (first time in my life I have parked in my garage, it's wierd) so not such a big deal towards my resale thoughts.

Ski

Phil Maddox
11-23-2010, 6:03 PM
an overhead door may look a little better but the wall space it takes up is too valuble, in my opinion. When I built my shope (1/2 of a 4 car garage) I installed one OH door and framed for the other in case someone wanted to install the 4th door. It has worked great for me.

PM

Henry Ambrose
11-23-2010, 8:13 PM
Frame both openings in for 6 foot french doors with full or half glass. Other than driving a car in you have the best of all worlds.

I have no windows and hate it.
That will eventually change.

Joe A Faulkner
11-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Personally, I question the need for even 1 overhead door unless it's still being used for a garage. ...

Another +1 in John's camp. I am in the process of remodeling what was a detached two car garage into a dedicated wood shop. I replaced one overhead door with windows and service door six years ago or so. I just now have finished wiring, insulating and sheet rocking the interior, and regret that I didn't replace the other overhead door with either a slider or custom made swing out doors.