PDA

View Full Version : General 490 bandsaw motor base

Warren Chambord
11-21-2010, 6:40 PM
Does anyone have a general 490 bandsaw that they can take a picture of its motor base and send to me? I just bought a used one and it vibrates too much. In trying to find the root cause, I came across what seems to be a missing bolt/nut. See picture at url below.

Since the bar to which it would be attached is welded to the cabinet walls, it would've had to been installed at the manufacturing time. I think someone was sleeping on the job when they built this one. If someone has a picture of their 490 motor base I can compare against, that would be great.

Thanks ahead of time,
-Warren

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3606/general490motor1.jpg

Chris Fournier
11-21-2010, 7:12 PM
A second nut on top of the nut you have shown would provide you with locking only, it won't reduce vibration one iota.

I think that you should be looking at the belt tension and while the machine is operating check to see if the motor base is moving up and down under load? If it is I'd put a nut under the base and use the under/over nuts to lock the base in situ at the proper tension.

It goes without saying that this is only one source of potential vibration on your saw. Perhaps you can check for runout on the motor shaft, drive pulley etc..

Bill LaPointe
11-22-2010, 7:45 AM
Since you bought the saw used, it may have been sitting awhile and got a "hump" in the belt. I have replaced all of my belts with the link type. Unbelievable difference!