PDA

View Full Version : A different sharpening station.

Nate Davey
11-21-2010, 6:04 PM
Firstly, all the cabinet grade workshop guys avert your eyes. I wanted to try something a little different for my sharpening station. As I'm extremely space limited, I wanted something the could mount on my ways or screw down to my workbench. This is what I came up with. It's made entirely out of scrap until I work the kinks out. The hole under the grinders on/off switch is 1 3/4" deep and will accommodate my 5/8 bowl gouge. I like the height but need to rotate it 90 degrees so as not to send all the metal and wheel dust into my lathe. Aside from that I'm sort of partial to it. Comments and criticism welcomed.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-21-2010, 6:16 PM
Where do you put it when you are using the lathe? I'm thinking if you are that space limited, maybe you can put pulleys in the ceiling and run some rope to a wall with counterweights and pull it up and out of the way when not in use.
By the way, I'm not the most safety conscience guy on this forum but even I use the guards on my grinder. I am assuming you took them off for the build and will reinstall them later.
faust

Josh Bowman
11-21-2010, 6:18 PM
Nate, that's a great idea. What a space saver! Looks like the scrap iron base under it should hold the grinder stable also.:D

Jim Burr
11-21-2010, 6:52 PM
Ha!!! I really like that idea!!!:D great way to save space and a very inventive approach:cool::cool: Now put the guards back on and I'll love it!!

Michael James
11-21-2010, 7:01 PM
clever..I have that grinder and until I trued the wheels there was just too much bounce and vibration........ now she just purrs sitting on a cab with loose cans, wax, finish, etc no problemo! The guards are on.:cool:
I don't want to imagine an abrasive wheel self propelling at 3450rpm...but I think the Dodge would stop it if I didn't......:eek:

Steve Campbell
11-21-2010, 7:25 PM
Nate; Great looking setup. My only concern, other than the lack or guards, would be that Hot sparks from grinding steel and dry wood shavings from the lathe don't play very well together. Unless you want to heat your shop with wood. Just make sure you clean up good before you start to grind.............

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2010, 7:28 PM
Good idea but I to would be concerned about sparks in the wood and getting in my way while turning.

Nate Davey
11-21-2010, 7:41 PM
All,
I do have the guards and will put them back on, I had to modify them just a touch to allow full travel of my Wolverine Grinding Jig. I think I will put a "backsplash" on it as well to redirect the sparks.

Faust,
I do most of my turning off the end of the lathe so I don't have to bend over as much. If I decide I need to do something longer I can take it off the lathe and screw it down to my workbench via the wings at the bottom of the cabinet.

Mike,
Had the same problem with the wheels, gotta love the wheel truing kit.