PDA

View Full Version : Chimenea

Jim Burr
11-21-2010, 5:43 PM
The orphan brother of this one died a thin death...I'd swear it was 1/4" thick...I really would darnit!!:mad::o:(
Last of my 6 million year old, dry, powdery, way-to-soft-to-sand-well Redwood. The bottom is meant to look dumpy but it still has some lift. About 5 1/2" tall, although the chimney was supposed to be taller :o. Orange, yellow and black dye used, the yellow really popped the growth rings. WoP x1 coat with 3 more to go.
Cheers!:D

John Keeton
11-21-2010, 6:38 PM
Jim, very neat effect with the dyes!! Nice work, and a very interesting form for this one. Too bad on the brother - I am sure it really was 1/4" thick - probably just didn't want to be a chiminea!!!:D;)

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2010, 7:39 PM
Really nice piece Jim. You did well with it. I haven't had any luck turning redwood at all. The two pieces I have turned ended in the firewood pile.:mad:

David E Keller
11-21-2010, 9:46 PM
Looks like a lovely bit of curl in that piece. I like the shape and the finish. I turn a lot of things that end up in my chiminea!

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Wow - very nice! Love the color and all that curl! Actually like the form quite a bit! Has a nice southwest feel to it! Kind of along the lines of these two: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=8&pictureid=3759

Frank Van Atta
11-22-2010, 3:03 PM
Very nice - but if you actually use it as a chimenea I suspect it will get burned up. :eek:

Baxter Smith
11-22-2010, 7:36 PM
Nice work with the dyes! I like the shape as well!