PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday at Ken's got my juices flowin'

Mike Cruz
11-21-2010, 3:26 PM
I had a great time at Ken's and my wife wanted the wood pile in front of my shop "gone", so, luckily my helper was here today and helped me get some of it to vanish...;) I cut up some Maple, Cherry, and Hickory. The hickory was from Ken's, the rest is stuff I've had laying around. Here they are...

Oh, Tony, didn't you want some large maple blanks? If you come up in this area anytime soon to be getting your stash from Peter, you can certainly have one of these...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=167898&d=1290370364

Jay Allen
11-21-2010, 4:21 PM
Crotch figure, bark inclusions and spalting.....awesome looking piece of wood.

Ken Hill
11-21-2010, 5:07 PM
Mike, so glad you are happy with what you got!

I will be prepping the mill and my 660 to tackle some of the larger crotches for slabs....I hope they look that good!

Jim Burr
11-21-2010, 5:45 PM
Wow!!! I'm changing coast's!!

Dan Hintz
11-21-2010, 7:24 PM
The spalting on 1 and 2 are going to make some bowl veeeery happy...

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2010, 7:29 PM
Wow that is some good looking wood. I bet that crotch will be pretty.

Mike Cruz
11-21-2010, 9:27 PM
Thanks guys. The problem as yet is that even with this new lathe, my swing over the bed is STILL only 12". So, SOMEBODY named Tony is going to have to claim one or two of these 16" blanks, or they're going to have to be sized down to some 11 3/4"ers and smaller ones...

Yeah, I know I can turn them on the outside of the lathe, but I'm a newby and need to do a lot more on the inside before tackling the outside.

I MAY get some risers for the lathe that will allow me to turn these beasts, but 'til then, they are too big for me.

Hey, if I don't hear from Tony, anyone else want one of these bigger ones?

Ken Hill
11-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Just seal them completely Mike, they will be ready when you are!

Tony De Masi
11-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm here Mike. Just in from the woods. Those blands sure look purtty. I'm trying to set something up with Peter for next week down at my place. Need to make him a long handle and a few other lessons. Care to join us? Oh, and yes I'll take those blanks unless you want to keep them for when you want to go outboard.

See ya soon.

Dan Hintz
11-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Tony,

Is this for an impromptu turning lesson? If you have the room (and I don't have a large honey-do list), I'd love to watch...

Tony De Masi
11-22-2010, 3:11 PM
Dan, you are more than welcome. And no need to watch either. If you come, you turn, that's the rule.:D Hands on is absolutley the best way to learn. Hook up with Mike, he knows where I live.

Mike Cruz
11-22-2010, 3:27 PM
I sure would love to. Depends on the day. If the day you and Peter are getting together doesn't work for me, maybe we can schedule another day. Dan, you could come with me, or go with Peter...or both!

Tony De Masi
11-22-2010, 3:31 PM
We are tentatively looking at next Thursday but it's not definate. I'll keep you updated.

Dan Hintz
11-22-2010, 3:38 PM
Oh, weekdays... yeah, that's not likely to happen for me :(

Mike Cruz
11-22-2010, 3:39 PM
Thursdays, my wife is in DC, so I have the farm to myself... Are your Saturdays still busy, Tony? If so, how about a Sunday?

Tony De Masi
11-22-2010, 4:00 PM
Well it's still deer season so pretty much Saturdays are out. Sundays are usually wide open. Maybe we can do a Sunday when Peter is off duty? Or he can come next week and you and Dan can come some Sunday.