PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Tracing

harry strasil
11-21-2010, 3:24 PM
FWIW- Just looked at the Wood Mag shop tip of the day about using white carbon paper on dark woods. As a Blacksmith working black iron sheets and plate, I often used old brown paper grocery sacks opened up and the back side gone over with white soft chalkboard chalk used on edge, or putting a light coating of chalk line chalk or just soap stone that I scraped off a stick with my pocket knife all over the area where I wanted to trace a pattern, lay the paper carefully on the plate, trace the pattern then gently blow off the excess and the pattern was left where the chalk line powder was pressed down by tracing over the pattern. FWIW

Jim Koepke
11-21-2010, 3:52 PM
FWIW- Just looked at the Wood Mag shop tip of the day about using white carbon paper on dark woods. As a Blacksmith working black iron sheets and plate, I often used old brown paper grocery sacks opened up and the back side gone over with white soft chalkboard chalk used on edge, or putting a light coating of chalk line chalk or just soap stone that I scraped off a stick with my pocket knife all over the area where I wanted to trace a pattern, lay the paper carefully on the plate, trace the pattern then gently blow off the excess and the pattern was left where the chalk line powder was pressed down by tracing over the pattern. FWIW

I gave someone my pack of IBM carbon paper about a decade ago. They thought it had historical significance value.

Just looked and Amazon is out of stock on carbon paper, 10 sheets for about $29.

I think I will stick to making my own like you mentioned and we did in art classes.

jtk

John Coloccia
11-21-2010, 3:58 PM
I gave someone my pack of IBM carbon paper about a decade ago. They thought it had historical significance value.

Just looked and Amazon is out of stock on carbon paper, 10 sheets for about $29.

I think I will stick to making my own like you mentioned and we did in art classes.

jtk

Actually, it's 10 sheets per folder, 12 folder, for 120 Sheets. So it's not THAT bad :)

I have a whit pencil I get at the art store but the point isn't very durable. it breaks almost immediately.

Trevor Walsh
11-21-2010, 4:49 PM
Hey John, I use the white pencil as well, what type of sharpener are you using? a standard pencil sharpener has too narrow of a taper in my experience, look for a roughly 60 degree tapered sharpener at the art supply shop. Think pig sticker mortise chisel over pairing chisel.

Hope that helps,