PDA

View Full Version : Wood Show in Denver

Jon McElwain
11-21-2010, 3:20 PM
I had a great day at the Denver Woodworking Show at the Denver Merchandise Mart. Several clubs were there along with the regular tool salesmen.

Two highlights for me were the demonstration from the Chadwick School of Woodworking (he gave a detailed demonstration on his chair building techniques), and the Craft Supplies booth. Craft supplies brought 5 or 6 mini lathes and had a free pen turning demo for show-goers. You got to pick your blank, pre-drilled and sleeve already inserted and glued, and turn your own pen! They had cocobolo, holly, purpleheart, walnut, and more to choose from.

There was an instructor at each lathe who gave a mini turning lesson while you made your pen. Now, while I have been turning for a while, I have never turned a pen so I went ahead and signed up. I patiently waited while my instructor took me through the basics of the lathe this is the head stock, switch, and this is what we call the tool rest :D. Then of course the ABC's, move the tool with your body, steady the tool on your hip etc...

Anyway, great time at the show, Craft Supplies is of course trying to get more people interested in the craft so that they can sell more tools and materials, but still, it was nice to be at a show like that and come home with something made!

Oh, and the best part was that my wife watched the kids all day so that I could go. So when I presented her with a new hand made pen, she beamed!

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2010, 4:25 PM
Wow! Sounds like it would have been a good show to attend! Glad you had fun!

Jim Burr
11-21-2010, 5:13 PM
Nope...didn't happen...no pic's. Sorry Jon...I'll bet you were at the Raiders game!! :D

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2010, 7:37 PM
Jon wanted to attend that one but had to head for Wichita. Grandma is babysitting grandson or I would have been there. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Tim Thiebaut
11-23-2010, 1:14 AM
Although I am on the far south side of town, I would have come if I had known about this, maybe next time!

Sue Wise
11-23-2010, 8:43 PM
I also went to the Denver show. It is not quite what is was a decade ago, but I enjoyed it. I also saw the Chidwick seminar. My favorite workshop was the bandsaw presentation by Alex Snodgrass. Some of those Carter bandsaw products are great.

-Sue

Ron Ainge
11-23-2010, 9:28 PM
Hi Jon

I spent 2 1/2 days at the woodworking show this year and I did not see any thing besides the booth that my club had and the lathes at Craft Supplies booth because I was one was one of the people giving pen turning lessons to all of the people that wanted to make them. I don't know who had the best time the people making the pens or those of us that insturcted them when we saw the look on someone face when they finished there pens.

I am the President of the Front Raqnge Woodturners and I would invite you to our next meeting. The next meeting will be on 1/4/2011 at 6:30 pm in the basement of Rocklers store on Colorado Blvd. Hope to see and meet you there,

Ron Ainge

Tim Thiebaut
11-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi Ron, I would love to come to the next meeting, I have been to that store twice in the past week myself, so I am there fairly often as it is.

Philip Rodriquez
11-24-2010, 1:36 PM
:eek: I'm going. I just purchased a lathe and now I need to learn how to use it!