PDA

View Full Version : Planers and Planers

Jonathan Spool
11-21-2010, 2:47 PM
I'm still looking to upgrade from my Dewalt 735.
I just picked up a Belsaw 9123 planer with a 3hp 1ph Baldor, and a Craftsman/Belsaw 910/912 with a 1ph 2hp Baldor at the local auction for $80. The 9123 is circa 1970 or so, the Craftsman is a newer model.
I also have a Craftsman/Parks 12" planer that needs a motor.

Are the Belsaw planers good machines, or should I move the 3hp Baldor to the Parks? Or, should I sell them all, and get a new machine? I have no idea as to what the used machines I have are worth nowdays.

Rusty Eads
11-21-2010, 2:57 PM
I've got a belsaw 9103. It's a 12" planer/molder. I got it off of CL and it came with the rip saw attachment and about 7 sets of knives. It has a 5 hp motor in it and I paid $300 for it. I got it to replace my ryobi lunchbox planer. I would have to happen upon a great deal (and I mean GREAT deal) for a bigger planer before I ever get rid of this machine. It is the difference between night and day when compared to lunchbox planers. Maybe it is just because the only other planer I have used was my ryobi but I couldn't imagine anything else being better except for a wider one. If you are used to the 12 - 13" capacity of your old one like I was then it shouldn't pose a problem. This saw is perfect for my basement shop. I posted a gloat about it about a couple months back when I got it.

New knives can still be got close to me from Belsaw in Kansas City for $48 which is about as much as your dewalt knives. I haven't sharpened mine yet and the guy I bought it from said he ran close to 1000 board feet through it without sharpening them so they do have some life in them. They are in serious need of sharpening now though.

Put me down as a vote to keep the belsaw.

Don Jarvie
11-21-2010, 9:25 PM
Throw the 2hp motor from the Cman on the Parks and try them both and keep which one you like.

I have the 9103 Belsaw like Rusty and it works great. I have a 3hp Wagner R/I motor and it mowed though the rough Birch with no issue.

I have no expierence with the Parks but I have read they are quality machine. Check OWWM.org and you can read up on both machines.