PDA

View Full Version : epilog mini 24

Mark Plotkin
11-21-2010, 2:10 PM
well my 2004 mini 24 stopped working. the power supply is working but no LCD. Smelt something from the mother board area. all wires seem connected. Anyone purchased a motherboard recently? any other thoughts? I will contact tech support in the morning.

Bruce Volden
11-21-2010, 6:31 PM
Mark, I have gone through 2 mobo's in the past 6 years. $950 (~$1200 charged for the "core credit" til it's returned) IIRC. You're lucky you just lost the LCD, when I fired mine up it would CRASH BOOM BANG to the home position---and I didn't like that. BTW my Epi is a 24TT 35 Watt.

Bruce

John Noell
11-21-2010, 6:58 PM
Yep, just replaced my second one in 14 months. VERY costly to get it into Fiji (board+FedEx cost, plus duty and VAT on the board, plus VAT and duty on 75% of the freight cost as well).

Mark Plotkin
11-21-2010, 8:09 PM
thanks guys. my laser was manufactured march of 2005 so I have been thinking it was time for something to fail. I use it a moderate amount but besides a power supply problem that was under warranty I have had no problems. good news is I have three $1000 jobs to get done once fixed and I have been saving knowing this day was coming.

John Noell
11-22-2010, 1:29 PM
Be prepared to keep replacing it. When I asked Tech Support about the short lifespan (14 months) they were not surprised and offered no clues about prolonging the lifespan besides clean power. This machine runs (all by itself) on an APC power conditioner but that didn't make much difference.

Mark Plotkin
11-24-2010, 2:31 PM
well, I received the mother board and it went in with no problems, turned the laser on and got a x-y disabled message on the LCD. called tech support and found the ribbon to the encoder has a problem. New one is on the way. Hopefully this will get me going again. Mother board was $995 plus shipping.
Ribbon cable is $13.00 plus shipping.