PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Turning Tool Use?

Mike Turner
11-21-2010, 12:06 PM
I am real new to bowl turning ...I am in reading/ learning getting ready stage.. Do any of you all use a dovetail turning tool? If so which one do you recommend or find the easiest to use???? Thanks !!

Josh Bowman
11-21-2010, 12:08 PM
I just use a skew as a scraper and hold the cutting edge flat to the lathes head and let the edge make a dovetail.

John Keeton
11-21-2010, 12:41 PM
For tenons to fit the chuck, I just cut a very slight dovetail with a bowl gouge - if the wood is hard. If it is soft, I don't cut a dovetail on the tenon.

For a recess, I have used a skew and I also have a homemade, multi use, tool for which I have various cutters - one of which is a dovetail scraper.

Dave Ogren
11-21-2010, 2:06 PM
I only do bowls with a recess. I have a 1/4" x 3/4" x 18" length of high speed steel and have ground a dovetail cutter to match the dovetail on my VicMarc 120 chucks. Works perfectly every time.

Good Luck,

Dave

Jim Burr
11-21-2010, 2:53 PM
I usually always Tenon. With the advent of a Donut chuck, you can turn with a tenon reverse in the Donut chuck and fashion your recess. BTW..I'm a big fan of recessed feet on bowl :D As far as what tool to use...Bowl gouge, scraper, skew, dovetail gouge. Get some junk wood and practice!!

John Beaver
11-21-2010, 3:23 PM
I just took an old tool and ground it inot a parting tool with a angle on the top. No need to buy one in my opinion. Generally I can create the dovetail for the tenon with a small gouge.

David DeCristoforo
11-21-2010, 5:09 PM
"...I also have a homemade, multi use, tool..."

And just where are the pictures of this tool, Mr K?

My poem for the day:

you know the rule
no pic
no tool

Jon McElwain
11-21-2010, 5:10 PM
Yep, old scraper ground to the right dovetail angle for me... Only use it for scroll jaw tenons/hollows.

John Keeton
11-21-2010, 6:42 PM
"...I also have a homemade, multi use, tool..."

And just where are the pictures of this tool, Mr K?

My poem for the day:

you know the rule
no pic
no toolAhhhh! But, there are pics!! This tool was the subject of a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1270109) very early in my exhaustive turning career. Since that time, I have ground a variety of blades for it, including a parting blade I use a lot. The used planer blades are 5/32", and work great for a host of little chores!:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2010, 7:34 PM
I used a straight skew to make a dovetail. Since then I found I can do the same thing with a bowl gouge.

Ryan Baker
11-21-2010, 7:54 PM
I usually use a bedan that I have ground at an angle. You can do it with a gouge, depending on the grind you have on it.

David DeCristoforo
11-21-2010, 7:56 PM
"Ahhhh! But, there are pics!! etc..."

Alright counselor. You win on a technicality. But next time, be sure to include the link...;)

Scott Hackler
11-21-2010, 8:18 PM
I have a dovetail tool and I used to use it when I turned with a recess, but I only turn with a tenon now (99% of the time). The only thing it gets used for now is measuring the tenon for the correst diameter, since its marked on the flat of the tool for 50mm! :)

Reed Gray
11-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I use the dove tailed tool available in the catalogs. They are ground to about 7 degrees, which is the common angle used in hard wood flat work joinery. Ground it away a couple of times before I found out that a diamond stone on the top surface is great for touch up work. Line the blade up with the ways of you lathe and plunge in. Makes the perfect angle every time, which I consider important for that little bit extra hold that comes in handy for coring and heavy stock removal. I prefer a recess.

robo hippy