PDA

View Full Version : dust mask question

Dave Malen
12-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi,
I am an allergic person. The last several winters I have suffered from chronic and acute sinus infections. To the point where I cannot enjoy my woodworking. I hate wearing dust masks. I have a dustfoe already. Can anyone reccomend a comfortabe mask or shield that would protect my health. I recently saw in a woodcraft circular an add for the aircap2 for $144.
Does anyone have experience with that product?

Thanks,
Dave

Jim Tobias
12-30-2004, 12:25 AM
Dave,
Below is a copy of an earlier post that I put up regarding air powered systems. I too suffer from chronic sinus infections and allergies. This system is the only thing I have found that REALLY works. I can work all day in the shop and not smell a thing. The only drawback is that you will have to get used to ahving the contraction strapped around your waist. But, the trade off to breathe easy is a good one.

Jim

"After trying all of the strap on filtered types for a couple of years, I finally broke down and bought a powered air hood system about 6 months ago. I was also starting to have reactions(allergies) to the wood dust and decided(with encouragement from my wife) that my lungs could not be replaced and that the price tag was cheap when you looked at it that way. I bought the 3M "Breathe Easy" system. It is a positive air flow system. The helmet is comfortable, the battery does not run out and I can spend an entire Saturday in the shop and never smell the first hint of wood dust. I would highly recommend it from my experience. You can check it out at the site below.
http://www.airwareamerica.com/prod04.htm

Jim"

Jim Knauss
12-30-2004, 6:27 AM
Dave,
I have the Air Cap 2 and it works very well. I only use it when I'm planing or sanding alot. The batteries last a long time and I just use dollar store ones. I would have liked to have the "Trend " shield but money was an issue. The trend you can flip up to scratch your nose :) The air cap is not real noisy either. Very lightweight. In all I think there are better systems out there but they are very expensive. I think the air cap works well but if you are having health problems get the best you can afford. Just my 2 cents......
Jim

Dave Malen
12-30-2004, 9:13 AM
Thanks guys,
Your advice is well taken. I will get the breathe easy system.
Dave

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 9:52 AM
Dave, in addition to the personal protection you are looking at, remember that you need to collect as much dust as you can at the source. Check your hood designs at the stationary tools and use hand-held tools with superior dust collection and/or using a downdraft table with tools that don't collect well or for hand sanding. You may also need to reduce or eliminate use of certain species that you are particularly sensitive too.

I also know that my Allegra helps a lot, but I don't know if you can personally us anything like that...

Dave Malen
12-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Jim,
Thanks for your advise. The biggest problem in my shop is collecting from my scms. I called Mike at Airware America this morning and ordered the airmate system instead of the Breathe Easy system. I made my choice because I feel most of my problems are dust related. The airmate system, like the breathe easy system comes with an hepa filter, and eight hour battery. The main difference is the airmate can not be used for spraying and the waist pack is somewhat lighter. The big plus is cost. The airmate costs about 180 less than the breathe easy. Should get it next week. Will update this forum about it's effectiveness.

Dave

Steve Beadle
12-30-2004, 12:04 PM
The biggest problem in my shop is collecting from my scms.

Dave

Have you set up one of those Big Scoop dust hoods on your miter saw? I put one on mine, and though it's not perfect, it gets about 95% of the generated saw dust. I've seen them in a couple of the mail order woodworking catalogs, priced from about $20 to $30. You do have to figure out a way of mounting it yourself. It takes a 4" hose.

Steve