PDA

View Full Version : Pagoda Box

GEDunton
04-09-2003, 7:15 AM
This and the following pics are a "pagoda" box. The main box body is a piece of ribbon maple. It had dark heart wood and some spalting that created a cloud pattern. The object was to fold this "cloud" around the box. Darn, it worked. The lower body and top are purple heart.

GEDunton
04-09-2003, 7:20 AM
This shot shows the lift off top, simple dado inset to align. It also displays the drawer in the base. The drawer front is mitered to the corners and unless you look very carefully, it is "invisible" when closed. Drawer body is made of soft maple.

GEDunton
04-09-2003, 7:28 AM
Last of the series. This is the interior of the box. One more bit of "trickery". There is a tilt up false bottom. Press the edge of the back of the bottom and it tilts up, 1" deep "secret" compartment.

Finish is rubbed blond shellac. Near a french polish type finish. Then a couple coats of wax. Gives the piece a nice glow, between gloss and semigloss. I "cheat" on the inside, fewer coats of shellac, and a lot less rubbing out, but near the same as the exterior.

Darn the secret compartments may not be secret anymore. Don't tell or I'll have to call the hit man.

For your amusement.

Stan Smith
04-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Now that's what I call artistry in wood. Very original and great use of specific wood for a specific purpose.

Tom Sweeney
04-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Man that is one nice box you have there.

I have plans to build a jewelry box, for LOML, out of figured maple and purpleheart. Now that I've seen this I know it will look good.

Excellent use of grain matching and combinations. The secret compartments are pretty cool too :cool:

Again Great Job!

Ken Wright
04-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Really like the way you wrapped that wood figure around the sides .... What type of joinery did you use for the sides??

Randy Gleckler
04-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Wow, that's very very nice. I like the design and the way the "Cloud" wraps around the side as you mentioned. The Drawer and compartment are very nice too.. Thanks for sharing.

rtg

Dave Arbuckle
04-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Beautiful work! Um, what secret compartments? Must have missed that part. ;)

Dave

Lee Schierer
04-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Great looking work on all your boxes. They can be a challenge to make, but are always fun to do. Yours nicely display some nice pioeces of wood.

What joint do you use in the corners? Looks like a miter. Is it a locking miter or plain miter? Ever try a locking rabbet joint for the corners?

GEDunton
04-09-2003, 5:31 PM
Corners are simple miters. A few of the boxes have splines added, mostly for decoration rather than strength. These are relatively small, max at about 6hx6wx10l, so needn't be furniture strong. Sides are all close to 1/4" stock, so there's not alot of glue area, but care in fitting and good clamping seem to make them tough enough. One got dropped from waist height on the concrete shop floor (not by me) and survived with a fixable ding in the corner, so guess they'll survive sitting on some vanity.

Any other ??s, I'll try to answer.

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-09-2003, 6:03 PM
VERY nice GE! I have always been fond of small boxes, and I am gearing up to try my hand at a few. Excellent work, and I appreciate you sharing photo's and construction details of your work. Great use of contrasting woods also. I especially like the mitred corners. Just goes to show that fancy corner joinery is not necessary for beauty..................the box lines are clean, and I think that is what sets them apart. FANTASTIC! Thank you for sharing! :D

Ted Calver
04-09-2003, 8:02 PM
What beautiful work!! I'm inspired!! Haven't made a box yet, but now I'm gonna try. I see a hint of a shadow at the bottom. Have you used any kind of feet to raise it up? Thanks for the pictures....and the great how to make a box post.

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-09-2003, 9:34 PM
Hi GE,

I love this box! Nice material and I love the way the spalting wraps around. Very nice :)

Jennifer