PDA

View Full Version : Walnut & Red Oak Headboard

G Douglas Fowler
11-21-2010, 11:11 AM
This is my first post on this forum.

The headboard panels and arched frames are resawn and bookmatched walnut crotch. The lighter wood over the arches is quarter-sawn red oak stained using an oil-based pecan stain. The crest rail is laminated walnut. The headboard legs were also laminated to induce a gentle flair in the bottom half of the legs.

I am now building a tall chest, low boy chest and nightstands using walnut for the carcass frames and tops and the QSRO for the side panels and drawer fronts.

Cmments and suggestions are welcomed.

Doug

Jay Allen
11-21-2010, 4:18 PM
Awesome Walnut crotch. That is a good looking bed.

Ted Calver
11-21-2010, 4:32 PM
Doug, Welcome to the creek! This is a great looking bed. Did you use barrel bolts or another specialty bolt? Was the head board attached the same way? Are the side rails made from 6/4 stock? They look nice and sturdy. Thanks for sharing and hope to see your progress on the rest of the pieces too.

Bob Direso
11-21-2010, 6:21 PM
Doug, The bed looks fantastic. I recently made a walnut bed with a live edge walnut headboard, but I love the way you used the crotch walnut and accented the work with the red oak. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the bedroom set. Bob.

Bruce Volden
11-21-2010, 6:38 PM
Doug,

1st post and after seeing this I now have all my "stuff" for sale on CL. It's guys like you that make guys like me sick:D

Beautiful!!!!!

Bruce

Dave MacArthur
11-22-2010, 1:42 AM
Douglas, Welcome to the Creek!
Fantastic looking bed, I love the walnut panels on the headboard. Your choice of woods is interesting, and exactly the way I'd have chosen the grains. I really like the QSRO across the top combined with the walnut.

I've got a folder for "mixed wood furniture" which I'm adding your post to, as it's a look I particularly like, and your bed is an especially nice example.

Great first post!

Joe Cunningham
11-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Wow, I really really love the way this looks. I think the contrast is just right between the two woods and the design with the arches sets it off.

Great job, look forward to seeing more of your work.

G Douglas Fowler
11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
All, thanks for all for the comments.

Ted, the bed bolts are case-hardened 3/8 x 6" at about 1.00 per. The bed frame is 5/4 as is the center rail. There are no center floor supports since the bed with the slats install has less that .01" deflection with a 300 lb. center live load.

Dave, one of the things I try hard to accomplish is always trying something new with a project. I didn't know how the QSRO was going to work and I really appreciate the validation. I'm attaching a photo of a buffet I made early this year that incorporates African Paduck for the carcass frame, re-sawn Lacewood veneer for the drawer fronts and walnut for the side panels and top. I would have like to use Paduck for the panels and top but I has a very limited supply. The Paduck was also used for the cockbead. The lacewwod was finished with a deep garnet shellac and "over" rubbed in areas to provide an older piece.

Doug

Dave MacArthur
11-23-2010, 2:56 AM
Doug, that's a great piece! And you know, it's like a French restaurant menu, it sounds even better reading it than seeing it! You should add, "avec sauce Bernaise" to your description! ;) That's a bold combo!