PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Bar

Joe Tedesco
11-21-2010, 9:36 AM
Is there anyone located on Long Island, NY that might happen to have a Johnson Bar that I could borrow? I have to move some big machines around the shop and could really use one.

Thanks
-Joe

Zach England
11-21-2010, 2:34 PM
Either I don't know what a johnson bar is or this topic is highly inappropriate.

Charlie Reals
11-21-2010, 2:54 PM
A johnson bar to me is the throttle on a steam or air engine. Butt I learn every day and I am also corrected in memory as it was the reversing lever, not the throttle.. It is also a pry bar dolly.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_bar_%28tool)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2010, 3:16 PM
The Johnson bars we used to move machinery with in a steel mill were like a giant pry bar with a long wooden handle and steel wheels at the pivot point.

Tim Morton
11-21-2010, 3:28 PM
http://www.google.com/images?q=Johnson+Bar&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=koDpTL-8EIeglAfMq8HFCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEEQsAQwAg&biw=1680&bih=922

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2010, 3:32 PM
Thanks Tim!

Logan William
11-21-2010, 4:31 PM
if you can't find a Johnson Bar several pieces of black pipe work really well if the machines have large flat bases to roll on. Weld a nut on one end of one that is smaller then the OD of the pipe and then you have something that you can easily grab on to with vise grips, channel locks or wrench/ratchet if you've got the clearance. Once the machine is up on pipes its incredibly easy to move around some heavy iron, even with one person.

Joe Tedesco
11-21-2010, 6:04 PM
Exactly Ken and Tim! My biggest challenge is lifting up the machines to put pipes or a dolly under them. I borrowed a Johnson Bar a while ago from someone and it worked out great. I guess I may need to break down and buy one.

-Joe

Jeff Wright
11-21-2010, 6:36 PM
I rented a Johnson Bar at our local tool rental company. You might try one in your area. I figured I would not use it often and besides, I need EVERY inch of space I can get in my 2-car garage shop . . . and that's we neither car having seen the inside of our garage in over three years!

Jerome Stanek
11-21-2010, 7:04 PM
We call that a Mule

Dave Lehnert
11-21-2010, 10:15 PM
I worked in retail and we had them in each store to move fixtures.
Have any friends that work retail?

Dom Garafalo
11-22-2010, 1:46 PM
I recently had to move a 4,500 lb surface grinder across my shop 35 feet. I rented a johnson bar for $15 for a day at a local Taylor Rental store. I had to left the machine to put pipe rollers underneath it in order to move the machine around into position. Easily the best $15 I ever spent.

Try a rental store...they should have one.