PDA

View Full Version : Solid vs. Veneer

Richard Wolf
11-21-2010, 8:23 AM
I'm building some display cabinets out of semi expensive hardwood, Zebra wood @ about $17.00 a bf. The cabinet requires about 12 bf of solid lumber. So the question is, do I use the whole piece of $200 wood to build one cabinet or slice it into veneer, laminate both sides, cover all side and end grain of the substrate.
The fact that both sides need to be covered requires extra material and work. So I'm on the fence of which way to go.
I realize that realistically, veneer doesn't decrease the value of the cabinet, but some people may think so.
Looking for your $.02.

Richard

James Phillips
11-21-2010, 9:09 AM
I think it comes down to how you place a value on your time. How long do you think the extra veneer work will take?

Erik Christensen
11-21-2010, 9:57 AM
I would veneer only for design reasons not to save on material costs. If you have a really eye catching grain pattern that you would like to use in multiple locations - book match for example - then I would veneer; otherwise I would use solid stock.

But that's what I like to do - if this is for fun pick the process you enjoy most - if you like re-sawing & veneering go for it. If this is paying gig do what makes you the most $$.

Peter Quinn
11-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I prefer to work with solids unless there is a compelling reason to use veneer. If the piece was very large and the stability of veneer over engineered material was a benefit I'd go that way, or if the material being used were very expensivee or rare, like some old cuban mahogany or a wild crotch pattern I'd consider it. But even at $18/bf the labor still outweights the lumber cost IMO. So it seems like mostly a matter of personal preference, and I can see why you are on the fence!

If you are taking a pole, I vote solids. If youmare dovetailing the case, then definetly solids.

johnny means
11-21-2010, 10:25 AM
IMO veneering insures against any future problems with movement or checking. There is also something to be said about environmental responsibility and stewardship of resources. The further we stretch these resources the more we get to enjoy them. Certainly, we are not talking about a forest full of trees here, but it is something to think about. Maybe that piece gets a little brother.

Frank Drew
11-21-2010, 1:12 PM
Richard,

If there are any frames and panels in your design, the panels would be ideal for veneering. As you know, you won't be saving any time this way, but Johnny's point about stretching out limited resources is worth considering. I certainly don't think in-shop veneering cheapens a piece in any way.

But if you're going for the look of solid, meaning veneering the edges and end grains, I'd feel that that was way too much work, with uncertain results, so I'd go with actual solid.

Chris Fournier
11-21-2010, 6:34 PM
You have recieved excellent advice to your question - in my opinion!

As many have pointed out to you, using veneer in no way makes the project less expensive than using solids. The labour required to utilise veneer outstrips any material cost savings. I have found that using veneer actually costs my customers more but it is undeniable that I feel like a true "steward" when I use veneer as it is so obvious that you can "stretch a board".

I like to use veneer for the design freedom that it allows me. From construction techniques to the aesthetics that it affords veneer gives you more control over the project.

As you know veneer can be both commercially sliced and shop made. I enjoy using both and I bet that you would too!

Recently a friend of mine used my shop to make a wedding present for his brother. One humble piece of lumber yielded all the shop sawn figured veneer for for the project which would have required 4 times as much lumber if solids were employed. That makes me feel good even if it doesn't make for good "business sense".

Chip Lindley
11-21-2010, 7:13 PM
Richard,

If there are any frames and panels in your design, the panels would be ideal for veneering. As you know, you won't be saving any time this way, but Johnny's point about stretching out limited resources is worth considering. I certainly don't think in-shop veneering cheapens a piece in any way.

But if you're going for the look of solid--meaning veneering the edges and end grains, I'd feel that that was way too much work, with uncertain results, so I'd go with actual solid.

My only problem with veneering is...well...it too-often looks "veneered!"

If forethought and fortitude can be applied to make the veneer appear as "solid wood" then it was worth it to stretch expensive wood further that way. Otherwise, the "stretching" may well cheapen the look of the piece immeasurably, overcoming any savings or stewardship involved.

If rails or stiles will be covered, take pains to rip edge grain pieces to cover the board edges with. Then resaw pieces for the board faces. The only hint of veneering will be very telltale seams between adjoining planes.

I have used this approach to re-facing kitchen cabinets for customers. It took considerable scruteny to detect that the job was "veneered" rather than a brand new set of solid faceframes. The "tedious" procedure was not too tedious at all. I counted it all time well-spent.

The end result was well worth energy expended. A far cry from 1/8" slabs of solid wood air-stapled to old faceframes! The audacity to call that a "refacing job!" Tacky Tacky! But, it is offered by major home centers all the time. Whatever the market (or ignorance) will bear. But I digress...

Richard Wolf
11-21-2010, 8:46 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. I think may labor cost will far outweigh any material cost savings, so I believe I will use solid construction.
You know, it never really was about the money, it was about wasting resources.
The price of good lumber is getting to the point that I think we have to be concerned about diminishing supply. It's that or someone is making a lot of money. I was looking at some Koa before I picked up the Zebra wood. The price makes a commission very difficult, because honestly, there are still a lot of people out there that think all wood costs $1.00 a foot and few people that can really appreciate beautiful wood.
Now I feel like I'm preaching to the choir.

Richard

Chris Fournier
11-21-2010, 10:14 PM
We should have been worried about the depletion of this precious resource 2 centuries ago. The time for conservation is now - at the very latest.