PDA

View Full Version : Preserving The Bark

Jim Eller
11-21-2010, 7:44 AM
While planing some black walnut yesterday, I had a piece that had some bark on it. After running in through the planer a couple of times, I thought, "Man, that looks good with the wood and the bark combination".

I decided to keep it for a project such as a box top or the like. Then I got to thinking. How do you keep the bark from peeling away from the wood later, or will it?

Anyone have any suggestions as to how this can be done, if it can be done?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Eller
11-22-2010, 7:04 AM
No one has done this??

Or can't it be done?

Ted Calver
11-22-2010, 9:44 AM
Jim, I haven't tried this on flat sawn lumber but will offer a thought based on my turning experience. Whether bark sticks or not is generally dependant on the time of year the tree was harvested. In the spring/summer/fall when the sap is flowing the bark comes off easily. If the tree is harvested in the winter the bark will have a tendancy to remain attached. We have some success keeping the bark attached to natural edge turnings by saturating the line where it joins the wood with thin CA glue. This might work in your case if the bark shows signs of coming off.

Jim Eller
11-22-2010, 6:49 PM
Jim, I haven't tried this on flat sawn lumber but will offer a thought based on my turning experience. Whether bark sticks or not is generally dependant on the time of year the tree was harvested. In the spring/summer/fall when the sap is flowing the bark comes off easily. If the tree is harvested in the winter the bark will have a tendancy to remain attached. We have some success keeping the bark attached to natural edge turnings by saturating the line where it joins the wood with thin CA glue. This might work in your case if the bark shows signs of coming off.

Thanks Ted. Apparently not too many folks have experience with this.

As far as when the lumber was cut. All I know is it is about eight years old and the bark.............well it, "sticks like bark to a tree".

Jim