PDA

View Full Version : Walker Turner - Almost done

Rusty Eads
11-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Well here she is in the final stages. Installed the fence off of my old delta contractor saw. The mounting holes in the top are busted out from when the saw fell once in its life also causing the original fence rail to be bent. The fence I added is about 8" too short but I have a fix for that and will post pictures tomorrow once the glue dries. I haven't decided to find another rail (a 2" wide x 5/8" thick x 52" long piece of steel) or keep with this fence. I found one on the bay but with shipping it is almost $60 and not knowing how I will like the fence I haven't bit the bullet on it yet. My delta fence is the predecessor to the T2 I think and worked great on my old saw.

I was able to move my jointer from against the wall to under the left extension wing gaining me almost a foot of shop space. My shop is only 11' wide so every foot counts. Plus I can rip my boards and move two steps over and joint the edge if needed.

I still need to get a different on/off switch to replace the double blade disconnect that came with the saw. I will probably keep the disconnect as a way to remove the saw from the electrical current as it is hardwired to its own 220 circuit.

I can say that with a $10 Firestorm 32T blade it can cut 8/4 oak like it's slicing through paper. Not a perfectly clean cut but well enough for the blade I have in it and with the jointer right next to it, it cleans right up.

The top still isn't as clean as I would like (the pictures really bring out the imperfections in it), but I doubt I will do too much more to it other than clean up the one or two rust spots on it and wax it up.

Things left to do - make a blade guard with overhead dust collection; make a cover for the motor opening and install under cabinet dust collection; new switch; upgrade blade, WWII or the like; possibly upgrade fence (very big maybe as most upgrades are cost prohibitive); make an outfeed table.

Overall I am extremely happy with the saw and think it will be a great upgrade to my delta.

jared herbert
11-21-2010, 7:22 AM
I have a saw just like this. When I got it it had a 3 phase motor on it and I replaced it with what appears to be a weak 1 horse motor. What size of motor do you have on it? I do think that I really like the saw. Jared

Rusty Eads
11-21-2010, 10:13 AM
It has a Baldor 2hp single phase wired for 220. It is about 60 years old, back when hp actually meant something. I have a newer 2 hp and the baldor makes it look like it came out of an RC car, at least twice as big and about 50 lbs heavier. It seems to have no shortage of power.

Gary Curtis
11-21-2010, 2:31 PM
I've got a Walker-Turner Drill Press made in the '50s. The power cord was bad, so I took it to a machinery repair place for replacement. The owner begged me to sell it to him.

I guess that is a comment on the quality and build.