PDA

View Full Version : 1st Batch Pen and Blank Gloat!!

Jeff Fagen
11-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Well I'm off and running with my first batch of pens.
Thanks to some great local mentors like Jeff Nicol,Fran Passe and Bruce Scherlin.
I went to Woodcraft in Minn.and tooled up,then a trip to Jeff Nicol's to buy some really nice blanks and get a few tips.
Pictured are a spalted maple,hickory,walnut and purple heart twist pens.
Sure is fun,Thanks guys.

Andrew Arndts
11-21-2010, 12:38 AM
outstanding work.

Jesse R Williams
11-21-2010, 6:56 AM
Great job on the pens! it only becomes more addicting now that you got your feet wet!

Keep working hard at it you will enjoy the rewards.

Jesse

Dave Wagner
11-21-2010, 7:06 AM
Very Nice! Enjoy! I started with 1-2 a week, until my co-workers saw them, now I am I up to 1-2 a night to keep up.

Greg Ketell
11-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Very nice pens. Especially for your firsts!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Those are some good looking pens. It just gets more addicting.

Greg Just
11-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Very nice pens. I especially like the top one.

I sent you a PM

Michael James
11-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Jeff, nice job on those and Jeff N is the man to go to for whatever.... I fell into this rabbit hole looking for him and his hollowing tool. Yup, pens...just gonna turn a few pens for the winter..That's how I started. There's really only so much you can do with a pen once you get the basics down.. then where? If you hang out and read the posts and look at the pics you will see that that pen mandrel has very liminted uses for a woodturner.
Welcome aboard and have fun! :D
MJ

Jeff Fagen
11-22-2010, 7:28 PM
Thanks folks for the encouragement,I think I'll stick with the pens for a while.:)

Jeff Nicol
11-22-2010, 7:32 PM
Jeff, It looks like you put the blanks to good use so far, they look great for you first volley into the pen turning realm! The new avatar threw me for a loop, all dressed up and at tie and everything! Does that mean I have to dress up for our next meeting of the minds? I am such a jokester, keep up the turning and see you soon.

Jeff

Jim Burr
11-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Jeff, if the Vortex has a sound...you just made it. Do your self a favor and invest in Between-the-center bushings and run away from a mandrel as fast as you can :eek::eek:

Billy Tallant
11-23-2010, 2:19 AM
Great looking batch of pens. Really like that spalted pen...

Dan Hintz
11-23-2010, 6:38 AM
Jim,

I'm curious why you suggest getting away form a mandrel. I've looked at the multiple options Penn State has (their 10% off deal is up this evening), and it's difficult to know which one to choose (their self-adjusting mandrel looks nice for $30).