PDA

View Full Version : shelf's

Jerry Crawford
12-29-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm helping my son design a small shelf unit for an under the stair space. It's about 5' high and 4' wide. He doesn't want just three horizonal boards. He's hand built most of his home to a high end degree of finess and jointery. So the simple thing like shelves will occupy a lot of time and thought.

Stairs rise about 8 steps to a mid platform over the space then turn 90 degree and up another 4 treads to the next floor (that doesn't sound very clear does it?), I'm thinking maybe of shelves that slide out on some kind of drawer roller ??? .....any ideas?

Chris Messier
12-30-2004, 8:15 PM
The first thing that came to my mind was a built is cabinet that maximizes the space that is present. But I don't know if this is something that you guys would want to do or if it would work for that space and for the surronding rooms.

Jerry Crawford
12-30-2004, 11:11 PM
I let my imagination run with it today, in a sketchbook I carry, while waiting at the hospital. I burned up some lead, but one idea I'm going to propose is a pair of roll out shelf's sort of like pantry shelf units suspended with some heavy duty drawer full extension rollers (kind of like pocket door). I thought about how many shelf's he could put across a space and decided it would be smart to use the depth rather than the width. This way there will be around 24 linear feet of shelf rather that maybe 8 or 12. Anyway, it's a start and he's a really bright guy who makes his living thinking out of the box so together we can do somehting that will work.

Another idea might be some shallow drawers but I'm not sure I can sell that idea